Dev Workshop Indy Message Board › Working in a group on agency client sites

Working in a group on agency client sites

Stephen M. J.
user 5626356
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 3
I am curious to know what type of processes others use at their companies to create website that involve multiple developers (just a few) and a designer. I'm interested in an agency/client website context, not an internal application context.

It seems like there are two ways to go about it. Everyone communicates all the time and goes old school and updates the files on a shared server. The other is to have version control centralized (Git, etc.), but that requires some setup time because you need to develop locally just make one css edit. What do you do when developers are used to logging in and changing the color of a link directly on the server and the client is used to a quick turnaround, too?

Then, you throw CSS preprocessors (Less, Sass) in the mix and you've got files that need to be compiled and then uploaded (or pushed). I've been having Less compile issues with other developers. I'm used to compiling locally with CodeKit, LiveReload, etc.
Stephen M. J.
user 5626356
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 5
Oh, and I forgot. You've got copywriters poking around in there, too, so you can't really touch the database.