Developers & Entrepreneurs Message Board D&E - General Discussion Forum › Speed Pitching -> FAQs

Speed Pitching -> FAQs

Robert F.
RobFenton
Group Organizer
London, GB
Hi all,

With less than a week to go to our next event this coming Tuesday at Google Campus, it is proving to be a popular one and looks like it will be over-subscribed.

So, to help things run as smoothly as possible and for those who are new to this format, we have detailed below a list of FAQs about our now famous speed pitching. Hopefully this should answer all your questions, but if we have missed anything please ping us back an email and we will answer your question(s) for you right away.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

• Do I have to pitch if I attend this event? - Nope. You are more than welcome to just come along and watch, be entertained, network and/or enjoy the free food and drinks.

• Do I need to register to pitch? - You only need to register for the event itself, but not to actually pitch. Once you've registered for the event, simply turn up, join the pitching queue and take your turn on stage.

• How long do I have to pitch? - Strictly (up to) 30 seconds MAX!!

• What can I pitch?- Anything you like, as long as it is relevant to the group. Generally people will pitch an idea, a product or service, their skills, an opportunity, they will also pitch looking for staff to join their team, for investment and sometimes even pitch a business problem they are facing hoping to find a solution.

• Can I pitch more than one thing? - Yes, but we suggest making each thing a separate pitch rather than trying to cram them all into one 30 second slot. For each new pitch, you simply need to join the back of the queue and wait for your next turn to go again.

• Can I use props? - Yes, in fact we highly recommend that you do and you can bring any props you like. The only restriction is that you cannot use anything that will require plugging into the presentation system (e.g. laptops, PowerPoint slides, etc.). Props really help you stand out from the crowd and make you more memorable to the audience thereby giving you better chance of making useful connections during the networking session.

• How does the speed pitching actually work? - It's quite simple really (we believe in the KISS principle). Pitchers will take turns on stage to deliver their 30 second pitches to the whole audience. There will be a large timer on screen counting down your time. You will be dragged off stage (kicking and screaming if necessary) when your time is up! ;)

• What else do you recommend I do to maximise the usefulness of the speed pitching (as a pitcher)? - A) Make yourself memorable. B) Practice your pitch beforehand. C) Speak slowly and clearly. D) Make your pitch concise and simple to understand. E) Have a call to action.

• What else do you recommend I do to maximise the usefulness of the speed pitching (as an audience member)? - A) Make notes of which pitches impressed you so that you can refer to these during the networking afterwards. B) Take a picture of the pitchers you want to speak with afterwards as this will help you find and recognise them in the crowd. C) Have plenty of business cards ready to give out and exchange.

We hope you find the above useful, but please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

We look forward to seeing you all next week, both regulars as well as all the new faces (and it seems there will be quite a few of you by the looks of things).

All the best,

Rob & his fabulous team (without whom these events would be a disaster).