addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Different Class Message Board › Art and its role in class politics

Art and its role in class politics

A former member
Post #: 3,255
This is such an interesting subject but one in which there seems to be little or no debate at least in the mainstream on the issue of ART as a political tool.

Parents influence their children to a greater or lesser degree from birth, and long before they start school, but in my experience the spontaneous creativity of children, their natural questioning nature takes a step change when they start school. Anyone looking at the paintings of children over a period of time would I think immediately see the effects of stereotyping that replaces their individuality.

This is only a small part of the process that will have started earlier in life by well-meaning parents, grandparents and siblings "This is how you draw a cat" but it is more visible than their thinking.

I wonder what it would be like if there was no 'art education' but the money spent on it used to provide any amount of free materials of all kinds and undirected facilities for 'arts and crafts'. Instead of taking up all children's leisure time with yet more homework or sport. The nearest I have seen is the occasional play-scheme NOT run by those intent on promoting religion, colouring in bible pictures and reading bible stories and singing religious songs.