Different Class Message Board › Coming up at Different Class

Coming up at Different Class

Nathan C.
nathancharlton
Group Organizer
London, GB
Hi
I hope you’re enjoying your summer. As we go into our third year of Different Class I thought it would be a good time to let you know about what’s coming up.
Next month the ever-popular Jonathan White from the LSE will be back to help guide our discussions, the next text being On Liberty by John Stuart Mill (on which more below).
In the coming months Jonathan wants to get us reading work by Spencer, Schumpeter, Gramsci and Habermas among others. His readings in the past have broadly focused on social theory, and this remains the direction though in the coming months there is lean towards theorising modernity and associated problems.
We’d love Different Class to branch out more, and recent forays into urbanism and educational theory have given us an indication of what might work. Please do keep talking to us about what you’d like to see and look out for additional events.
I’ll be putting the September event up later (it'll happen on the 14th), but if you want to get a jump on the Mill selection, here is a link – http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/jsmill/liberty.pdf­ – it’s a relatively short text to slip into your holiday reading…
Looking forward to seeing you along soon,
Nathan