Digital Photo Exchange/Oceanside Message Board › Lightroom VS Photoshop

Lightroom VS Photoshop

Donald L.
user 24220482
Oceanside, CA
Post #: 7
Photoshop guru/genius, Lee Varis, does a great job via his blog (see the link below) of demonstrating where Lightroom should stop and Photoshop should take over. Check it out. I think you'll find it very helpful in guiding your future workflow.
http://www.networkedb...­
David S.
DavidSalahi
Laguna Niguel, CA
Post #: 6
Good link, thanks for sharing. The question of whether/when to use Lightroom is something I've been struggling with off and on for the last couple of years. With the recent release of the Place Linked Smart Objects option I thought it might be time to change my workflow. Alas, a new workflow using Place Linked is too awkward; more comments on this subject are on my blog: http://photoperforman...­
Donald L.
user 24220482
Oceanside, CA
Post #: 8
Nice coverage of the subject on your blog, David....thanks! There's a big announcement scheduled for June 18th (?) by Adobe to reveal all of the new goodies they're rolling out for CC. Perhaps we'll see it then. If not, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the non-destructive, seamless and automated link between PS and Lightroom/ACR becomes a reality.
Blayden T.
Blayden
Oceanside, CA
Post #: 26
My question is how Adobe will manage Bridge in the future. From a product management perspective, I realize that Bridge fills a customer gap but is essence it competes against Lightroom. Personally, I prefer Lightroom and it is an important part of my workflow.
David S.
DavidSalahi
Laguna Niguel, CA
Post #: 7
Blayden, I don't think that Adobe will change much about Bridge in the near future. Bridge and Lightroom do have some overlap but they don't really compete with one another as they have different purposes. Lightroom is designed specifically for photographers and has many features that are of use only to us. Bridge is designed for the more general user of the Creative Cloud and it supports file types (e.g., Illustrator, After Effects effects, etc.) that Lightroom doesn't.

Donald, I'm registered for the Adobe announcement session on 6/18 and am looking forward to learning what's coming next! By the way, I hope to make it to a DPX meeting again sometime soon but have been having schedule conflicts lately. It looks like June will be a conflict, too, as I'm teaching a Photoshop class for my local photo club on 6/26.
Donald L.
user 24220482
Oceanside, CA
Post #: 9
As much as Lightroom and Bridge/ACR are alike, they're still two separate and distinct animals. Lightroom is constructed around a database, while Bridge is applications based...and never the twain shall meet. Well, maybe never. Lightroom is generally considered to be more 'photocentric' and is probably a bit easier for beginners trying to develop a consistent workflow, but it still has its limitations (as does Bridge). In the past, many opted for Bridge over Lightroom for financial reasons. Bridge and ACR came with Photoshop as a freebie, but you had to pay extra for Lightroom. But not anymore. Now in the CC version of Photoshop, Lightroom comes along for the ride with no up charge! How nice is that? Getting to Blayden's question (and it's a good one), the real answer is "who knows?". In the short term, expect the status quo. Designers and other users that are doing more than just photography will continue to use Bridge (due in part to the large # of file formats not presently supported by Lightroom, and for it's browser-style format), as will bigger studio and others that need access to the same set of files at the same time by multiple users. So to that extent, I don't see them really competing (even though they are quite redundant). For me and my particular workflow, Bridge and ACR work just fine. I learned Bridge and ACR first. Perhaps I'll make the transition to Lightroom sometime down the line, but for now I'm just too busy. It's nice to have options!