This is the first one of our Summer BBQ Series. We will have one BBQ event at a different location every month from May to September:
May – Gas Works Park
June – Golden Gardens Park
July – Alki Beach Park
August – Madrona Park (on a Blue Angels performance day, you will have the front row seats !)
September - Golden Gardens Park
Here is a little history of Gas Works Park:
This 20 acre point on Lake Union was cleared in 1906 to construct a plant to manufacture gas from coal - later converted to crude oil. Import of natural gas in the 1950's made the plant obsolete. The city acquired the site and the park was opened to the public in 1975. The boiler house has been converted to a picnic shelter with tables, fire grills and an open area. The former exhauster-compressor building, now a children's play barn, features a maze of brightly painted machinery.
Friends and family are welcome to the event, and it is highly appreciated if you can bring extra supplies of BBQ items, e.g. plates, cups, utensils, napkins, coolers, food… Please tell us what you plan on bringing when you RSVP.
Cost of the BBQ is $10.
- BBQ starts at 12noon but we will be there from 11:30am to set up, you are very welcome to be there early and give us a hand.
- We have reserved tables #1 and 2 in the BBQ area next to the boiler house (near the bathrooms) and there will be signs saying that the tables and grill are reserved for Meetup event.
- Sign in with the event hosts and get your wristband.
- There will be all you can eat food and drinks!!!
This event is cross posted with other groups.
* We need volunteers to help set up and host the event!*