Divas de la Creme Book Club Message Board › The Devil in the White City

The Devil in the White City

Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 183
"Group consensus? I think we were 50/50. A bit of love, a bit of boredom, and a wee bit of I'll read it some other time. However, even though this is a historical book, the author did a phenomenal job writing it like a novel, which clearly explains how it became a bestseller.
Did you read it? What are your thoughts? Post your thoughts on the group message board ..."

As requested, I am posting my thoughts here.
I read The Devil in the White City last fall (2013), when Lise recommended it to me. Though it could be said that the author's tone is a bit on the sensational side, I found the book to be mesmerizing. Erik Larsen skillfully wove two themes--the Chicago World's Fair and the actions of a serial killer--into an unforgettable reading experience. I hadn't realized the phenomenal success and permanent influence of the former, and had never even heard about the latter. Rarely is a book of nonfiction as riveting as this!

I am 2nd in line for a Kindle copy of Violets of March smile