Emmy
naska
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 16
Hi all, I've created a spec page for the zine. Let me know if you have any questions!

(see photos tab above)

Su M.
user 44106342
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Though I can't make the Dec 6th meetup to discuss the zine (due to a prior commitment), I definitely want to participate!!

I've participated in a zine at my college comics club before, and everyone just sort of submitted whatever they wanted, with mixed results. I like the idea of uniting our zine under a theme... or, if we were to do it doujinshi-style and have everyone do a fan story/parody of a particular popular series of some kind... wouldn't that be cool? :D <--(always wanted to try drawing doujinshi)

Would anyone be up for that, or should we just go with a looser theme? And if we did do a dj anthology, what series? LOTR seems timely with The Hobbit coming out soon. ;-D
Emmy
naska
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 17
Hi Su Mon!

No worries, we'll probably discuss this over 1 or 2 meetings and also in this thread as well! It'll probably be much easier to sell a fan book based on a particular series but I've been rather wary about the copyright laws here in the states. I see a lot of fanart sold at anime cons and such, but have you guys heard of cases where people have gotten in trouble? (in japan I remeber a lot of pokemon fanartists getting in trouble a while back) I assume that we're such a small group that companies won't really bother with us but if we ever want to sell our zines at bookstores or comic book stores we'd probably have to do original work. Let me hear what you guys think. :)
Madison
user 52798382
Seattle, WA
I can go either way on this, but I'll throw in my two cents. Is it possible to support both in a way? Maybe for each issue, depending on what people have worked on it could be focused on original works with a fanart section at the end, or primarily a fanart compilation with some originals thrown in.

I personally don't have much experience with designing characters so fanart would be an opportunity for me to practice the fundamentals of pencil-to-paper, but at the same time it can be limiting to others so I'd certainly not want to mandate it.
Su M.
user 44106342
Seattle, WA
Post #: 4
I like Madison's idea--maybe we can start off with a doujinshi anthology as "warmup" since it will just be a small photocopy book anyway (and many of us sound like we need to warm up our skillz again ;-)). It might also be quite nicely in-theme, since we're specifically a meetup group of anime/manga (and video game) fanartists, right?

And then maybe for our next book/future books, we can do original work and get it printed with a nice binding, etc, so we can attempt to sell to bookstores?
fluffy
fluffybusybee
Seattle, WA
Post #: 9
I wouldn't say we're a group of fanartists. I'd much rather we stick to original designs.
Emmy
naska
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 19
Let's keep the discussion open and hear what more people have to say! ;)

Emmy
naska
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 22
OK, we've had our first zine meeting yesterday and we've come up with a theme:

Double Jump!

Draw a comic or illustration that is inspired by our group name! Fluffy had mentioned an interesting idea about perhaps crossing over reality with game (or even anime) ideas as seen in comics like Scott Pilgrim. I would personally say heavy parodying is OK, for those that are not comfortable with coming up with original work. Even just an illustration inspired by the phrase "double jump" would be cool. What do you guys think? ;)

I'll put together a spec page with due dates and size information soon! ;)
A former member
I think the theme is very fitting. It'll be fun! I'm also ok with heavy parodying. After all, we're all influenced and inspired by something. Why not celebrate it?

Can we submit both a comic and illustration? I have a few ideas, but I'm having a difficult time deciding which to do. Is there a page limit?

I look forward to the spec page and getting started. :)
Emmy
naska
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 24
"Can we submit both a comic and illustration? I have a few ideas, but I'm having a difficult time deciding which to do. Is there a page limit?"

Sure, I'd say why not ? People can work on whatever they feel (comic/illustration/fake ads/etc.) Right now I'm thinking perhaps the comic should be 12 pages max...but I think it's alright to go over that if people require more pages in order to tell the story they want. I'll put up a spec page next week - I wanted to discuss the book a bit more at the Saturday white elephant first. ;)

As for size, we'll probably just fold a regular sheets of copy paper in half and make a book. If you guys have other sizes that you'd like to try working at please feel free to make suggestions!