Downeast Humanists and Freethinkers Message Board › Secular Coalition for America Call-In for MAINE

Secular Coalition for America Call-In for MAINE

Abbie M.
downeastdance
Bangor, ME
Post #: 125
It will take place this coming Thursday the 13th at 1 pm. To participate, call on that day and time:

Call-in number: (530) 881-1400
Participant Access Code: 978895

"The first call will be mostly informational, so don’t worry about speaking up. Feel free to call in just to listen. "

It looks like it will last about an hour. Maine is followed by New Jersey at 2 pm

FMI http://secular.org/st...­
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 133
Thanks Abbie. We did discuss this at our meeting on Sat. and gave out the #s. Hope there is enough interest to get the ball rolling.
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 134
Short article in this morning's Bangor Daily about the Call-In on Thurs.. We should be grateful for that I suppose even though two pieces on the same page were about (1) the rare blossoming of a "corpse" flower (so called because it smells like rotting flesh), and (2) an upcoming convention of people who claim to be UFO abductees. It's a good thing I don't believe in "signs".
Abbie M.
downeastdance
Bangor, ME
Post #: 128
Well that's sort of good news, Doug, but we should be prepared for the crazy right wingers to flood the call-in. Just like I predict they would steal all our literature at the Fair, if they were given the chance. Hope to be wrong, but just in case, we should call in early and get in the queue.
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 135
Good suggestion Abbie.
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 136
The conference call yesterday went very well. The presentation answered most of my questions and at the end Nancy and I both volunteered to work with several others on an executive committee to keep the ball rolling. Someone must be paying attention already. I did an interview this pm with a reporter from Maine Public Radio who wants to do a story about the Maine Chapter.
Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 266
Yes, that was Susan Sharon. She called me and I told her that you were our publicist, Doug. He he. You are so much more personable than some of us curmudgeons.

The next conference call is Thurs. Oct. 11. Same phone # and same code.
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 137
I've been told that the story ran last evening on the "Maine Things Considered" segment. Haven't heard it but hope it got the message across. And Nancy, we've got to talk about this "publicist" job. I think you'd be the one I'd draft for the position.
Abbie M.
downeastdance
Bangor, ME
Post #: 129
Will we be getting names and contact info from other Mainers on the call? I am wondering if any of the other FFRF'ers that I have been in contact with are participating. Just made a connection with two more of them (and got another LTE for the notebook, from the Lincoln Co. paper.)

You can hear the NPR podcast at http://www.npr.org/rs...­. The podcast says Maine is 41% non-believer. Politicians better sit up and take notice!
Doug is the only Mainer interviewed in the podcast. WAY TO GO DOUG.
The podcast also mentions another group forming in Augusta, "Atheists of Maine."
It will be important to work closely with any other freethinker group that gets organized! If we compete, or don't coordinate, our voice will be much, much weaker. And you can count on the opposition to try to divide and conquer, over trivial, "finer points" of non-theology!
Larry G.
user 27306032
Waterville, ME
Post #: 25
Good job Doug. I had a little trouble getting to the right podcast. This works:

www.mpbn.net/News/MaineNewsArchive.asp­x