Downeast Humanists and Freethinkers Message Board › A Building for DEHF

A Building for DEHF

Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 278
The subject of a possible building for our group came up on another discussion thread and I think it deserves a discussion of its own.

I realize a capital campaign would be a large endeavor, but I think we need a building of our own for meetings, potlucks, lectures, showing films, etc. A grange hall type of building which could also be rented out to other groups to generate income to cover costs.

I can hear the groans from group members who want to "keep things simple," but just think about the advantages of such a building. We could meet more often, be more visible in the community, BE more of a community, and do so much more.
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 161
Thanks for starting the new thread Nancy. I'd like to suggest that at our Dec. monthly mtg. we ask for a few members to work as a committee on some of the questions and concerns that have been raised and report back to the group with a recommendation. There's no doubt that we need a more permenant meeting place. Let's see if this is a good direction to move in.
Peter J.
bkshelf
Franklin, ME
Post #: 16
Great idea to look into obtaining a building. This group does well when it's engaged in a project as was shown by the successful booth Abbie and others put together at Common Ground Fair this fall. I for one find sitting in a circle bouncing words off of each other less stimulating year by year. It might be the right time now to attract and retain more sympathizers to our goals and purpose, and Nancy's "dream" of having a place of our own to broaden our involvement in the community (and beyond?) is exciting.
Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 280
Thanks for the encouragement, Peter. Wouldn't a building like the Lamoine Grange Hall, where you just performed in a play (magnificently, I might add), be great?

"It always seems impossible until it's done." Nelson Mandela
Larry G.
user 27306032
Waterville, ME
Post #: 40
More and more churches are coming on the market. In fact there's one now in Ellsworth for under $3,000,000. What to do with churches no longer used? One in Brattleboro, VT, where I used to live, was turned into a factory making high-tech optical lenses.
Andrew
user 57135842
Ellsworth, ME
Post #: 52
3,000,000? Holy Jesus. I didn't know you were looking in that price range. I figured it'd be just as well to look in the 100 to 200k house range and knock out a few walls.
Abbie M.
downeastdance
Bangor, ME
Post #: 173
Or as my mom used to say, "Holy jumpin' Jehoshaphat!" (She really knew her Bible - which is why she didn't believe any of it!)

For starters, I would like to see us put some effort into finding homes for all these extra books left over from the fair! Maybe if we do that successfully and efficiently, we could tackle a bigger project like a building. What do you think?
Andrew
user 57135842
Ellsworth, ME
Post #: 54
Are the books meant to be packed away, stored for later sale, or are they meant to be read and enjoyed in the mean time? Ellsworth Public Library? Bangor PL? U Maine?
Abbie M.
downeastdance
Bangor, ME
Post #: 176
I think we would like to see them placed where they will do the most good!
Christmas is coming and there are books to be given to friends. Buy yours now! Our deals are spectacular. Ask Doug to bring what you want to the next meeting, or write to me and we will figure out a transfer process.