align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Downeast Humanists and Freethinkers Message Board › Atheist "church"

Atheist "church"

Amy E. T.
user 35268572
Ellsworth, ME
Post #: 10
Here's a link to the atheist church story I mentioned today.

http://gawker.com/597...­
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 173
Thanks Amy.
Renee
user 54714352
Bangor, ME
Post #: 1
An Atheist fellowship group is a positive idea. But I feel that this is a misguided conception of joining together an Atheist group and linking it with the word, "church." Are we not suppose to encourage others to break away from the primitive, superstitious ideas that are linked to religion? I feel that we should evolve in our thinking process and break free from religious ideals.
Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 286
I agree about calling it a "church," Renee. I think we should be presenting people with a serious alternative to churchesl. Providing them with an opportunity for community through perhaps a "fellowship" without the dogma, delusion or baggage of religion should be one of our goals...Nancy Glista
Abbie M.
downeastah
Bangor, ME
Post #: 179
I agree. Atheist Fellowship sounds more inviting to me.