Downeast Humanists and Freethinkers Message Board › Maine prayer caucus

Maine prayer caucus

Larry G.
user 27306032
Waterville, ME
Post #: 43
For those wondering, the Maine legislative prayer caucus is still meeting every Tuesday in the Criminal Justice committee room, although almost certainly with fewer members. As far as I know, no list of members in the new session has been published, but many of those who signed the Call to Prayer are gone -- only 37 of 66 remain. Some, like Cynthia Dill, left to seek higher office, others lost their races, etc. So that's a drop of 44% (+ or - 3% because some signatures on the Call to Prayer were illegible). Some signers were no doubt replaced by politicians equally determined to inject their religion into our government, but the change of direction is pretty clear. On a national level membership in the Congressional Prayer Caucus is down this term about 15%. Go Maine!
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 177
Thanks for the update Larry. Last year's "Call to Prayer" by our legislators was what really prompted me to get involved in efforts to establish a Maine Chapter of the Secular Coalition for America. Sometimes people need to be reminded that the lawmakers are there to represent all Mainers. The next SCA conference call is next Wed. Jan. 30 at 7:00 PM. Call #530-881-1400. Code #978895. Hope we can spark enough interest to launch an active chapter here.