add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Downeast Humanists and Freethinkers Message Board › Universal health care speaker available for an event

Universal health care speaker available for an event

Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 297
Hi everyone.

Physician Philip Caper of Brooklin is a founding board member of Maine AllCare, a nonpartisan, nonprofit group committed to making health care in Maine universal, accessible and affordable for all.

DEHF member Jerry Metz has been in contact with Dr. Caper and has asked him if he would be willing to speak to our group. He has agreed and if you all approve, asks that we suggest some dates after May 1 when he could speak in Ellsworth.

I suggest that we use the upstairs meeting room of Ells. City Hall, as it is a large nice meeting space, and open the talk to the public. It would need to be well-publicized and I suggest refreshments be served. We would need to think about what dates/times would be best if we want to pursue this.

How does everyone feel about this?

Here is a link to Dr. Caper's most recent piece in the BDN:

Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 190
Thanks for posting Nancy. This is certainly an important issue and should be getting more discussion. As far as dates in May for the talk, I won't be available on Fri. and Sat. the 31st and June 1st.. I will be participating in the American Cancer Soc. Relay for Life with "Team Dana" ( my daughter) for those days. Of course whatever works for the most other members and Dr. Caper is OK with me.

Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 298
I think we should look at dates in June to give us more time for planning, getting up posters, etc. Perhaps late June after we get through school and graduations? From experience I know that these events take a bit of time to prepare for and I for one do not like doing them under pressure.
Amy E. T.
user 35268572
Ellsworth, ME
Post #: 13
I think this is a great idea. I have heard Phil speak before. He is knowledgable and persuasive.