Downeast Humanists and Freethinkers Message Board › Secular Coalition for Maine chapter conference call

Secular Coalition for Maine chapter conference call

Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 315
Does everybody know about the conference call next Thursday, Sept. 19 at 2 pm, for anyone interested in the new Secular Coalition for Maine chapter? The Secular Coalition for America is organizing chapters in every state. This is very important, for lobbying here in ME whenever an issue comes up in Augusta relating to church/state issues. The phone # is 530-881-1400 and the code to enter is 978895. I hope lots of you will chime in, or at least listen in!
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 222
Thanks Nancy. I e-mailed the SCA on Monday to confirm the call but haven't gotten a response yet. I will certainly be on the line as should any of our members concerned with church/state separation issues in Maine. Spread the word and join in everybody.
George S.
user 66135432
Ellsworth, ME
Post #: 3
I am planning on making the call assuming that a work conflict does not come up and that I can figure out a way to connect. I can't make long-distance calls from work and I won't have cell coverage until I switch to AT&T at the end of October.
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 223
Hope you get connected George but if not we'll keep you in the loop and count you as a someone interested in working on these issues. Thanks.
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 225
The next conf. call is scheduled for Oct 17th at 6:00 pm. Call# and code are still the same. Please join in.
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 233
November call is scheduled for Thurs. the 21st at 6:00 pm. 530-881-1400. Code #978895. We will be discussing the issues that may be brought before the legislature in the next session. If anyone has information or concerns to share, please join the call.
As many of you know, LD 1428 will be discussed oin the upcoming session. This is the same "Religious Freedom" bill from Sen Burns that would give Mainers who felt their religious right were (or would be) impacted by the govt. the right to file suit. The Marriage Equality folks are particularly concerned about the implications for the gay community. We need to learn more about this, discuss it on the conf. call and be ready to let our Maine Reps. and Senators know about our concerns.