Downeast Humanists and Freethinkers Message Board › BDN write-up on our parade float

BDN write-up on our parade float

Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 338
http://bangordailynew...­

Although I appreciate the write-up and I think it is largely very good, I am working on a possible response to a couple of issues I have with the article, first that we are an "atheist group" and second that our float was "decidedly not about Christmas." Is the group interested in signing a response or would you prefer I submit a letter to the editor as an individual? Nancy
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 236
I think it needs doing and it should come from the group. If names are necessary feel free to use mine as well as yours if you want.
Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 339
Does this meet with everyone's approval? Please comment ASAP because I will email it tonight...

Dear Editor:

Thank you for your article about Downeast Humanists & Freethinkers’ float in the Ellsworth Holiday Parade.

We do have two corrections:

First, we do not define ourselves as an “atheist group.” Many of our members are indeed atheists, but as humanists and freethinkers, we include many who do not self-identify as atheists.

Second, the very first sentence in the article stated that our float was “decidedly not about Christmas”—not so! The theme of our float was the history of the Christmas tree tradition!

Again thank you for your coverage, and Season’s Greetings to all.

Downeast Humanists & Freethinkers
Ellsworth
Nadine m.
user 14063030
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 18
Add my name if it helps the cause! And again great work everyone!
Peter J.
bkshelf
Franklin, ME
Post #: 20
Good article, good response, good float. Glad to see how the organization is becoming known. Your letter, Nancy, doesn't seem to need a signature(s) as written, but if you want some you can add mine as well.
Gabrielle G.
GabrielleGraham
Seal Cove, ME
Post #: 2
Nice job, Nancy. Add my name as well if you wish, but it would be fine with me to sign as the group as a whole also.
Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 340
My letter is in today's BDN. They chose to publish it with my name only even though I tried to sign as a group.
http://bangordailynew...­
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 237
Well done Nancy. I'm glad they published it.
Gabrielle G.
GabrielleGraham
Seal Cove, ME
Post #: 3
Nicely done, Nancy. Thanks.
And how did you like the (I think related) cartoon at the top of the page?