align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

! Downtown Social Mixer Message Board › Happy New Year.. RSVP Rules for 2013

Happy New Year.. RSVP Rules for 2013

This message board is read-only.

Frank V
user 5285235
Group Organizer
Toronto, ON
Hi Everyone,

I want to wish a Happy New Year to all of you who have made our group successful and exciting. For those of you who support our events myself and the event organizers thank you.

I need to bring up an issue that has been plagueing myself and the event organizers of this group for awhile.

In the last 6 months myself, Sarah and Ali have noticed a consistent behaviour of some members RSVPing to a event and not showing up.

In the next 30 days a list of our worst offenders who have RSVP'd to more than 3 events and have NO-SHOWED each an every time will be compiled and people will be removed from the group. If you should happen to be one those people you were aware when you joined the group that my TERMS of USE POLICY regarding RSVPs was clearly communicated to you in clear english. Sarah herself has explicity asked in her event posts and event updates to honour/update your RSVP's.

Neither me nor the event organizers of this group are forcing anyone to attend a meetup event they don't want to. All we ask is you to honour/update your RSVP before the event.

I am asking everyone in the group this year to make a genuine effort to honour your RSVP 48 - 24hrs before an event. If you are unsure then please take the option of dropping in at event with no RSVP..if that option is available...check with the event organizer. Myself and the event organizers are tracking your attendance at the events...If you should happen to be a member who treats our events as a "plan D" on your social calendar(meaning RSVPing then NO-SHOWING)...more than 3 times... you will be removed the group.

My myself and the event organizers all understand we have issues regarding our personal, professional and private lives. However, we are noticing a lack of respect to the people who take time from their lives to organize interesting events where you the member have the luxury and convenience of just showing up.

Let's face it.. a meetup event is only as successful as the people who attend it. We have many loyal and supportive members who complain to myself and the event organizers why of all the people who sign up ..only 50% are in attendance. The meetup community history was based on the premise of meeting other people..not meeting just 1 person. Also, everyone likes trendy and popular venues...and these venues are open to hosting meetups groups, however, these venues in Toronto are becoming disappointed and discouraged by the attendance behaviour. There are trendy/popular Toronto venues that will not deal with meetups solely based on the "flakely" turnouts in the past. Popular/trendy venues will not dedicate staff and amenities to group bookings with uncertain numbers...

Let's all make an effort this year to honour your RSVP well before an event. If you are unsure...then please don't sign up, take the option of attending without RSVP'ing if the option is available to drop by later with no RSVP... ask the event organizer if you can do this. Some meetup events will have strict guestlist attendance only (aka - drop-ins not allowed).

Thanks to everyone who support our events...

- Frank V

Meetup Organizer