Drew Santos and I host events in southern California. We teach outdoor lighting for new photographers who like to be able to produce amazing images like we do. We host our glamour events once a month. Drew and I screen our models by test shooting them before the event. We have taken group shoots to a higher level over other events. Because of our success, many events try to copy our event style but many have failed.
For new photographers who want to attend our workshop • Learn to use lighting like the pros.
• We're here to share our tips to beginning photographers.
• Ever wonder how Drew and I light our models without the background being blown out on a sunny day? Speed lights not cutting it huh? :( We will give you hands on experience in using affordable and portable mono strobe lights and equipment. Try Before You Buy. :)
• You'll be so impressed with your images after the event that you'll be ready to order the same lighting equipment we use.
• I'll show you different light modifiers and their uses. Octobox, beauty dish and grids will be covered. I'll discuss the difference between the silver BD and white BD. Why i use the BD over an Octobox at the beach or desert.
• Circular Polarizer(CP)and Neutral Density(ND) filters will be discussed and how it will improve your images when shooting outdoors or at the beach. I recommend Hoya brand. CP, ND4
• Once you attend our workshop, you'll be able to build up your port with beautiful models quickly.
• Students can take the remainder of day to shoot models.
Preperations for workshop:
• To make use of the workshop, Pocket Wizards or Cyber Syncs are recommended. You can rent the PW's from Calumet or Samy's if needed. If you are in the market to purchase wireless transmitter i recommend purchasing the Cybersyns from Paul C. Buff. If the Pocket Wizards or Cyber Syncs are unavailable to rent, you may rent Pocket Wizards from Drew and I. Limited availability, don't assume we'll have enough PW's.
• Students should have prior knowledge on how to adjust their camera in manual mode. You'll need to know how to adjust aperture, shutter speed and ISO.
• I recommend you purchase a CP, ND or both that I listed above. Purchase the appropriate diameter for your lens.
• Make sure D-lighting or similar camera feature is turned off!
• If you have a 101 questions, please let us finish the workshop first then you may ask your questions after. Some photographers learn quicker than others so we can finish with them right away so they can jump right into shooting for the rest of the day. It typically takes 30-40 minutes to teach the workshop depending on the amount of students and answering basic questions.
Don't care about the workshop?
• For photographers who don't care about the workshop, they can shoot the available models for the group shoot portion. (Please note that the workshop will be using Channel 1 on the Pocket Wizards. On the CyberSyncs we'll reserve Channel 9 also, if needed)
• Shoot beautiful models all day long.
• Please be courteous, if you're going to set up your lighting equipment at a awesome location, to either share or move locations every 1/2 hour.