Drink, Draw and Mingle! Message Board › Multi Arts Coopertive Project

Multi Arts Coopertive Project

Marc
user 4595324
Group Organizer
Middletown, CT
Post #: 16
There is a building in Hamden at 1717 Dixwell Ave. that is going up for auction on April 10th. 3 weeks from now!

I have been drooling over that property for the past year. I have so many great ideas that would make it work as a multi arts business. The property is 65,000 sq feet, (30,0000 main floor, 30,0000 basement) Its on 2.44 acres of land, bordering the Farmington bike trail. The point it is at on Dixwell is has a lot of traffic, yet its quiet in back where the entrance is. There are beautiful skylights on the top of the building. Huge windows, and the entire building is brick. This would be a permanent home for figure drawing sessions, for art parties...

I would like to see if I can get a group of businesses and investors together to buy the property. I have a few businesses already that are interested.

I see it as a gallery with an arts cafe. A place for artist to sit and paint, work on their art. (kind of like Cafe Tutu Tango) http://cafetututango....­. The cafe would be a restaurant and bakery.

It would have a place for bands to play. Great for bands and events. Dance studio, yoga studio. (2 or three rooms for these type of activities) art film screening rooms in the basement, a collaborative area also int eh basement for artists to hand out, socialize and create. (There are some windows looking into the space) Also, there would be a store with all local artists work.

I am looking to get a group together that would be interested in scrambling together some info, ideas, business collaboration, and investment ideas. Do you know anyone interested in taking a look at the property and investing? Do you have a business that would work with this project?

Please contact me by phone or reply here and lets get something going!

Marc Pettersen
860 759 8499
Marc
user 4595324
Group Organizer
Middletown, CT
Post #: 17

Kristen
user 36604942
New Haven, CT
Post #: 1
This sounds like utopia :) I'm definitely willing to support this effort in any way that I can, (which doesn't include funds, unfortunately). However, I will spread the word and let you know if I find anyone who can financially contribute.
Duke
jnleduc
West Hartford, CT
Good luck Marc. If I were in a position to invest, I'd want to see a business plan. As a former engineer, I'd want to know about any hazmat or other carcinogenic materials that could be present that as a property owner could be very expensive to remediate.

Huge windows, skylights, sounds like a painters dream studio!

I admire your entrepreneurial spirit.

Jeremy

Mark B.
user 12519589
North Haven, CT
Post #: 5
Best of luck on your plans Marc!

It sounds like a great space. I wil spread the word around. If the property is aquired, I would be interested to rent the space for a day of life drawing sessions or using it to photograph figure studies.

I wonder if it can be set up like a cooperative (similar to the Bittersweet Farms artist community that used to exist in Branford).

Dixwell Ave. is right by my old Art College, Paier. I wonder if they would be interested in the property...they could use part of it for classes, while the rest of the building could be used for professional artists. Would be a great idea to expose the students to artists that work professionally............. maybe use part of the space as a gallery area for the college.......and rent out other spaces to professional artists for personal studio space and place to hold life drawing classes, workshops and gallery talks.

I also wonder if an art store (such as Jerry's Artarama ) would be interested in using part of the building for retail while leasing out other areas of the building for artists.........
A former member
Marc,
What an awesome vision! I will spread the word!
Kristin
A former member
That sounds amazing, I wish I had money to invest!