Please let me start by thanking Dubai Health Authority and in particular The Dubai Blood Donation Centre for their support and their efforts.
Please, you should help us with this event, and here is why:
Evidence suggests that giving blood has health benefits
Here is why:
Each time you give blood, you remove some of the iron it contains. High blood iron levels, Sullivan believes, can increase the risk of heart disease. Iron has been shown to speed the oxidation of cholesterol, a process thought to increase the damage to arteries that ultimately leads to cardiovascular disease.
1) By donating blood you increase the supply which may directly benefit you if you are hurt down the road and need blood your self.
2) It gives you the opportunity to have a basic health screen at every donation visit which includes blood pressure, temperature, hemoglobin level, and heart rate. In addition many blood centers do additional testing after donation and will notify you of any abnormalities there.
3) The letting of blood removes iron from the blood stream through increased red blood cell production which is a potential health benefit. It is believed that excess iron can cause cholesterol to oxidize quickly which damages arteries and contributes to heart disease.
4) The mental health advantages of knowing that you are helping somebody are immeasurable, but a study of elderly people showed a definite increase in the feeling of wellbeing and a general feeling of invigoration after donation.
Come on members; help us as a group to make a difference in our society:
Just to make one thing clear ... This wonderful idea to start with wasn't mine. It was the idea of Mr. Rajan Arora who was applying to join the group, and by the way was approved instantly. When I read it, I loved the sound of it; so I called the Blood Donation Centre in Dubai, and they assured me that they are in constant need of blood to be donated and our efforts would be highly appreciated.
Just to let you know few facts:
- Every three seconds somebody needs blood.
- One blood unit can save 3 lives
- People who have been in car accidents and have suffered massive blood loss can need transfusions of 50 units or more of red blood cells.
- Anemic patients need blood transfusions to increase their iron levels.
- Cancer, transplant and trauma patients, and patients undergoing open-heart surgery, require platelet transfusions to survive.
- Severe burn victims can use up to 20 units of platelets during their treatment.
- Thalassemia patients consume 47% (13,976 units in 2009) of the blood collected through the DBDC.
- An adult body contains 10-12 pints of blood.
- It takes about 7-10 minutes to donate a pint of blood and 24 hours for your body to replace the blood fluid volume.
Who can give blood?
To donate blood you should:
- Be in good health.
- Be at least 17 years of age. Provided you are in good health the upper age limit is 65.
- Weigh at least 50kg (110 pounds).
You are not eligible to donate blood frequently if you:
- Have ever used self-injected drugs (non-prescription).
- Have ever had hepatitis B or hepatitis C.
- Are in a high-risk group for AIDS.
- Are a diabetic on medication.
You are not eligible to donate blood if you:
- Are sick (cold, flu, sore throat or diarrhoea).
- Have taken antibiotics within the last five days.
- Have had dental work within the last three days.
- Are anemic (Iron Def. Anaemia).
- Are pregnant.
- Have had any ear/body piercings, or have had a tattoo, within the last year.
Please if you are able to give blood, do sign up for this event as your contribution may save lives.
I'm in direct conatct with centre's Director and depending on the number of members who will sign up, we shall determine the venue and time. Also I will be looking out for sponsors to take care of the juices and light food after the donations process.
Thank you for signing up for this good deed and thank you again Mr. Rajan for your good thoughts and nature.
Venue and Sponsor will be announced shortly.
Your Participation is Highly Appreciated!!
God Bless You All!
I started the group because there wasn't any other type of group like this. I've met some great folks in the group who have become close friends and have also met some amazing business owners.
— Bill, started New York City Gay Craft Beer Lovers
Act now and get 50% off.
Until February 1.