I kind of totally forgot to set this meetup up, so we'll extend the deadline for the long pieces to this Monday, the 23rd of September (normally it would be a week in advance of the meetup). Hopefully this will give us enough time to read and (mentally) digest the pieces before Thursday.
So this, by and large, will be the format of the meeting:
I) An introductory bit, where we each give a run down on what we're working on.
II) We have a discussion around a theme. This can happen after the critiques either. I'm thinking we can discuss:
Daily work targets - is it better to aim for a certain number of words or to aim to spend a certain amount of time each day writing?
Is creative writing itself something we can learn or is it something we just do and hopefully improve at with practice?
If anyone has any other ideas they want to bring to the table, the rectangular table in the corner of the annex to the Library Bar hopefully, let us know.
III) We critique each other's long pieces. We're not going to read the pieces at the meetup, so it might be good to bring your thoughts on a piece of paper or in the form of a song or otherwise recorded. :-)
Prior to the meeting, by Monday at the latest ideally, we will each email these long pieces (around 2,500ish words) to the address [masked] and they can be read there by logging into the gmail account using the password 'published'. (You can go to gmail.com in your web browser to sign in. You may need to sign out first if you're already signed in to google.)
- If you don't manage to read all the pieces in the inbox - don't worry. Come along anyway.
- If you're not working on long pieces - that's totally fine, come along anyway, and feel free to bring a sample of your work (less than 300 words) if you would like us to read or critique it.
- If you just want to see what the buzz is at this, that's fine too - all are welcome.
- It might be best to submit stuff to the gmail account in .rtf or .pdf format - just to make sure everyone can read it on whatever device they're using.
- If you would like to be an assistant organiser, set up and announce your own fun, interesting meetups and get all the fantastic perks* that go along with the job, please let me know.
Happy digging in the boggy soil of words with thine keyboards!
*There are no actual perks.