Jennifer
user 5848719
Group Organizer
Durham, NC
Post #: 140
Hey everyone,

It's time to pick our next books. If you having anything in mind,, please respond to this discussion. You can respond with a title you want to read, a subject you'd like to read in, a genre you'd like to read--everything is fair game.

We want to make sure the library has 5 copies of the book (buying more is a possibility, but not a guarantee). Other guidelines include a 300 page limit, which I'm willing to ignore if the book is a quick read; the idea is for books to be readable in a month when people have other things to do.

That is all. Suggest away!

Jennifer
Pat
PatFrench
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 11
I haven't read either of these, so I don't know whether they're quick reads, but they sounded interesting:

Jane Borden - I Totally Meant to Do That (240 pages; Durham library has 5 hardcopies, CH has 1 e-copy)
Jo Walton - Among Others (302 pages; Durham library has 4 hardcopies, CH library has 1)

In general, I'm up for most anything--particular interests are science fiction, epistolary novels, WW II, UK/Ireland, medicine/science, survival, and humor. I do have a hard time reading about kids being hurt.
Suzy
user 9132943
Durham, NC
Post #: 12
Pat, we read Among Others last year :(

I still like Drowning Girl. If I can convince you to do another classic sci-fi, I vote Lathe of Heaven by Le Guin.

After combing through the Man Booker lists, and narrowing it down (and then chucking everything that's significantly longer than 300pp), I found Room by Emma Donohgue.

(I already grabbed the new Mary Roach and Song for Achilles :P )
Jennifer
user 5848719
Group Organizer
Durham, NC
Post #: 141
Emma is a great suggestion. It's one of those books I keep meaning to read...
Jennifer
user 5848719
Group Organizer
Durham, NC
Post #: 143
We've scheduled books through August. There are some that were suggested that we're looking into the availability of (the library doesn't own enough copies and we need to make sure which ones we can get and which are out of print). If you have suggestions, keep them coming!