Publicity is the act of getting unpaid media to pay attention, write you up, point to you, run a picture, make a commotion. Sometimes publicity is helpful, and good publicity is always good for your ego.
But it’s not PR.
PR is the strategic crafting of your story. It’s the focused examination of your interactions and tactics and products and pricing that, when combined, determine how people talk about you and what they say.
Every author needs BOTH.
This session will examine publicity and PR, because in order to get good publicity, you've got to have a great PR campaign: good messaging, a great story, a worthy cause, and passion to promote them.
We'll be discussing:
• How to draft a media release that generates media interest
• How to build a media list
• Why a media kit is an important tool in your marketing toolbox
• Things to include in your website's media room
• How article marketing differs from news release writing
There's no fee to attend. Please just be a gracious guest and plan to purchase at least one beverage. We will order off the menu with a dedicated server; each person will pay his/her own tab.