Apr 27, 2013 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
*** Please, no need to RSVP "NO" if not attending ***
The other night I was on my bike riding around town and was struck by how dramatically the vibe of the city changes once the sun sets. People get out on their cycles and enjoy this town during the day but most of us put them away when the evening comes. That's like ordering a slice of pizza, throwing away the cheese and only eating the crust -- you're only getting half of what makes the experience great.
The Plan ...
We are going to take a nighttime tour of the East River bridges, we'll wheel through three boroughs and cross over five spans -- the Queensboro, Pulaski, Williamsburg, Manhattan, and Brooklyn bridges. This ride will highlight the stunning vistas only viewable from our water crossings and take in different views of the sparkling nighttime Manhattan skyline. If there was ever a time to go through the hassle of carrying your camera with you, this will be it. Our reward for the evening's effort will be a stop at Brooklyn's world famous Junior's Cheesecake to pick up something sweet to eat which we'll enjoy while relaxing at the DUMBO waterfront.
Here is the cue sheet for the ride http://goo.gl/maps/yrtLi. Print and bring it so you can catch up with the group in case you get separated.
The Important Stuff ...
- This is going to be a casually-paced ride of about 17 miles. Most of the ride will take place in bike lanes but there will be parts with some automobile congestion. You must be comfortable riding in a group and in traffic. Helmets are suggested. Lights and reflectors for your bike are REQUIRED by law.
- This is a night ride so dress to be seen by motorists and pedestrians -- bright or reflective clothing is a must.
- Make sure your bike is in good working order before the meetup and bring a lock in case we need to leave our cycles. Also bring a patch repair kit, air pump, and spare inner tube.
- Rain cancels the meetup.
- Check your email the evening before you head out for last minute meetup updates as well as my mobile phone number which will be sent to those who RSVP.
- Please DO NOT RSVP if you do not seriously plan to attend as space is limited. No flakes allowed! If you RSVP and I notice that you have a number of no shows or have a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- Sorry, no guests allowed for this one.