Final trip details posted, please read at
Waterfalls, waterfalls, oh so many waterfalls!!! Join me for a weekend of camping at Ricketts Glen state park and we'll have dreams of waterfalls for weeks to come.
Voted one of the most scenic parks in Pennsylvania, the 13,050 acre Ricketts Glen natural area boasts a series of twenty-two wild, free-flowing waterfalls, each cascading through rock-strewn clefts in the ancient hillside. Wow. The old growth timber and diversity of wildlife only add to the breathtaking scenery. And although the park is known for its waterfalls and 26 miles of hiking trails, there is much more to do here. The campground is situated on a 245 acre lake where you can swim, rent a canoe or kayak for a paddle, try your hand at catching a trophy fish, or just sit lakeside and catch up on your reading.
The Plan ...
We'll arrive Friday afternoon at the campground, check in, and head to our campsite to set up our tents and other gear. From here we can do as much or as little as we'd like until dinner that evening. Saturday we'll awake and make breakfast, and then you can join me as I lead an organized hike along the seven mile waterfall trail which is the main reason we are here. In the evening we'll cook and have a communal meal over an open fire, and spend the rest of the evening doing the usual camping activities -- partaking in adult beverages and stuffing our faces with snacks, playing games, and shooting the breeze. Sunday we'll get up and make breakfast, break down our campsite, and can continue to explore what the campground has to offer.
Food Plan ...
- To keep it simple, everyone is responsible for bringing what food and snacks they would like to eat and drink.
- We will be cooking dinner Friday, breakfast and dinner Saturday, and breakfast Sunday and it will be semi-communal, meaning bring what you would like to eat for yourself but perhaps also enough to share with a few other people. Simple to cook but interesting items are best.
Other Important Stuff ...
- When you RSVP, please comment if you have camping gear to bring (tent, sleeping bag, etc.).
- Everyone can have a single person tent or several multi-person tents at the campsite. I'd suggest buddy-ing up to save hauling space/equipment costs. It doesn't matter to me if the accommodations are co-ed or gender segregated, everyone can decide what is most comfortable for them.
- Rental gear (tents, sleeping bags, etc.) is available at the Tents and Trails store in downtown NYC, Gear to Go Outfitters in Park Slope, Brooklyn, Eastern Mountain Sports and at several REI stores in the NY/NJ area.
- If you are unsure what to pack, click HERE for a list. You won't need to bring everything on here, but it's a good start. If you are still unsure, please ask.
- The campground has flush restroom facilities, warm showers, clean water, and pay phones. We are not auditioning for Survivor here.
- Parking at the site is limited to 5 cars, the rest will need to park in the overflow lot a short distance away.
- RSVP only if you are definitely going. If you have commitment issues, please DO NOT RSVP. If you RSVP and have a history of no shows or last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- Meetup will be cancelled only in the event of a zombie apocalypse or locust swarm of biblical proportions. Possibility of rain or any other precipitation and we still camp.
How To Get There ... Carpool!
Ricketts Glen State Park
695 State Road 487, Benton, PA
GPS Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude)
We'll need to carpool to the campground. When you RSVP, please indicate if need a ride. Or if you plan to drive, where you are coming from and how many passengers you can take. We'll then figure out our carpooling options, please be proactive and contact a driver directly rather than just saying where you need a ride from. Gas and tolls should be picked up by the passengers, also a cup of coffee for the driver is a nice gesture.
This is event is cross-posted in I wanted to do that ... Just not alone! at http://www.meetup.com/justnotalone/events/115828692/ and Life out Loud ... at http://www.meetup.com/LOL-MNF/events/117215802/ so be sure to check there when looking for a carpool.