You guys have been great meetup group and have brought a lot of good times to my adventures. Let's enjoy each other's company one more time and close out the summer season with what I hope to make an annual event -- a BBQ picnic at New Jersey's Waywayanda State Park with a drive-in movie afterwards.
The plan ...
We'll gather at our picnic site in the morning to drop off our stuff and then everyone can head off to play in the park until lunch time, or if you just want to kick back in a chair to play a game or read, you can do that too. Waywayanda offers a refreshing lake to swim in and a beach to catch some sun rays on -- just make sure you're wearing a swimsuit please. Or if you want a little more activity, you can rent a kayak or canoe and paddle the lake, take a hike on the 60 miles of trails in the park which are suitable in difficulty for an afternoon stroll or a heart pumping work out, or play ball on one of the sports fields. If fishing is your thing you can do that too, just make sure you have a NJ fishing license.
For those that are not too exhausted, after our day in the park we'll enjoy a classic American pastime -- catching a double header at the nearby Warwick drive-in theater, one of a handful of drive-ins left in the tri-state area. Watching two first run movies for only $10 bucks while enjoying a summer evening in the country. Yeah, it doesn't get any better than this.
For food ... new idea
Folks, it looks like we don't have enough people bringing the main items for a hearty BBQ. I am making the suggestion that everyone brings a main item that they'd like for lunch as well as a little something to share with the rest of the group. From what I have read, most of the stuff people are bringing so far is suitable for that plan.
The important stuff ...
• Dress for the activity you choose to participate in that day, hiking, swimming, etc. Also bring warmer clothing for the evening as it gets chilly at the drive in.
• Park admission is $10.00 per car for New Jersey residents, $20 for everyone else.
• Drive-in admission is $10.00 per person, cash only. Bring a blanket/low chair and radio if you want to lounge outside your car and enjoy the movies.
• No guests allowed, sorry.
• Please DO NOT RSVP if you do not seriously plan to attend as space is limited. No flakes allowed! If you RSVP and I notice that you have a number of no shows or have a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
How to get there ... carpool!
You know how it goes by now, please comment if you need a ride or are looking for one. Passengers should kick in for gas and tolls.
This hike is cross-posted in I wanted to do that ... just not alone! Check there when trying to set up a carpool http://www.meetup.com/justnotalone/events/135561092/