I've caught the night hiking bug like most of you have seemed to have also. It's time to tackle one of my favorite hikes in the evening light or lack thereof. You know what they say right? Go big or go home! And I ain't ready to go home yet.
If you don't know, now you know ...
Named one of the 10 best hikes in the country, Breakneck Ridge steeply climbs the mountainside up from the Hudson River, and has many spectacular views of the Hudson Valley and surrounding area. If you're from the tri-state area and haven't done this hike then you haven't really hiked. I won't beat around the bush -- this is a tough one with very challenging terrain to cover, we'll be doing some serious rock scrambling and tackling some near vertical ascents but the reward is well worth the effort.
A $3.00 organization fee will be collected at this event, your host is in the running for hardest working person on meetup.
The important stuff ...
• This is an intermediate/advanced level hike of about 6 miles and I recommend that attendees be in good cardiovascular shape -- being a triathlete isn't necessary but "exercise" shouldn't be a four-letter word to you. There are numerous rock scrambles and a 1,260 foot elevation gain so be prepared for a challenge.
• Also, if you have a fear of heights this might not be a good hike for you. There are areas where you will skirt along ledges and near lengthy drop offs.
• This is a social hike, the pace will be moderate -- we'll be stopping to take in the views and smell the flowers. If you yearn to channel your inner Mountain Goat and feel the need to race everyone to the top of the mountain, this is not the hiking trip for you.
• Dress in layers of non-cotton clothing, wear hiking boots or trail shoes (I wouldn't recommend sneakers but that is at your discretion), a hat, bring 3 liters of fluid, a packed dinner and/or snacks, and sunscreen. DON'T FORGET YOUR HEADLAMP AND EXTRA BATTERIES.
• Rain cancels the hike.
• No guests allowed, sorry.
• RSVP only if you seriously plan to attend as space is limited. If you RSVP and I notice you have a number of no shows or a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
How to get there ....
Take the Metro-North East Hudson Line to the Cold Spring station, the 2:43 PM train from Grand Central gets you there at 3:57 PM. Walk about 1.5 miles up route 9D to the trailhead, which if you stroll slowly will take you about 25 minutes. The trailhead starts right after you pass through a highway tunnel (See photo below.). The off peak round-trip train fare is $26.50. The last train back to NYC from Cold Spring is at 11:20 PM which we should be finished in plenty of time to catch.
Take the Palisades Interstate Parkway to its Northern terminus at the Bear Mountain Bridge. Cross the bridge and proceed north on N.Y. Route 9D for about 8.5 miles to the Village of Cold Spring. Continue ahead on Route 9D for another two miles past the intersection with N.Y. Route 301 in Cold Spring. Immediately after passing through a tunnel under Breakneck Ridge, park in the small parking area on the left (West) side of the road. (See photo below. If this parking area is full, continue north for another 0.2 mile to a much larger parking area on the West side of the road).
This hike is cross-posted in I wanted to do that ... Check there when trying to set up a carpool http://www.meetup.com/justnotalone/events/135936542/