November 25, 2012 · 9:15 AM
This location is shown only to members
Okay, democracy has proven that it is a viable system once again ... some people cast their vote, others follow along with the masses. But in the end a workable solution always seems to win out.
The final plan ...
It seems like you guys love to eat and ride, ride and eat, or just eat and eat, so that is what this ride will be about. Many thanks to Karen for providing some good suggestions that I've used for inspiration.
We are going to start our ride in City Hall Park and head up and over the Queensboro bridge where we will double back to peddle around Roosevelt Island. This oft forgotten spot in the middle of the East River is an interesting bit to explore and the recently-opened Franklin Delano Roosevelt memorial park is a sight everyone should visit. From here we will head back to the Queens mainland for a bit of ethnic eats in Astoria.
First stop on our gastronomic adventure will be Arepas Cafe for a little taste of Venezuela here in NYC. Our focus here will be to try as many different Arepas as we can -- delicious unleavened cornmeal patties split in half and filled with cheese, meats, and dressed with toppings. Then we'll head to The Queens Kickshaw, one of the nabe's newest gems known for having some of the best gourmet coffees, craft beers, and ciders in the area. If you're still hungry they also serve fantastic fancy grilled cheese sandwiches and other munchables. And to stave off our food or alcohol-induced coma, we'll make our way back to Manhattan with a brisk ride through Williamsburg and over the Williamsburg Bridge to our starting point.
The important stuff ...
- Distance to cycle will be about 25 miles. This is going to be a casually-paced ride of about 10 - 12 mph. We'll be riding in bike lanes whenever possible but you should be comfortable riding in traffic and in a group. Helmets are a smart choice but we are all adults.
- Make sure your bike is in good working order before the meetup and bring a lock to leave our cycles. Bring a spare inner tube, patch repair kit, and air pump.
- It is going to be cold for this ride, dress accordingly.
- Check your email before you head out for last minute meetup updates as well as my mobile phone number which will be sent to those who RSVP.
- Please DO NOT RSVP if you do not seriously plan to attend as space is limited. No flakes allowed! If you RSVP and I notice that you have a number of no shows or have a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- Sorry, no guests allowed for this one.
- Rain or snow cancels the meetup.