East Bay Drupal Users Group Message Board › About tonight's EBDUG meeting #0

About tonight's EBDUG meeting #0

Luke M.
cellear
Group Organizer
Oakland, CA
Greetings!  You're getting this message because you signed up for the East Bay Drupal Users Group meeting.  I am Luke McCormick, and I organized this meetup because I know there is a community of Drupal users on this side of the bridge who could use some more Drupal-related activity in their lives.  Whether that's information, assistance, work, or even just company, I hope to find out what needs people have and see what the group can do to help satisfy some of them.

Who am I?  I am a long-time Internet developer (my earliest Internet projects predate the 1993 introduction of the WWW) and occasional entrepreneur.  I've worked for big companies (Apple, Cisco, Accenture) as well as lots of little startups that you've probably never heard of.  I discovered Drupal in 2008 while I was working at Accenture, and have constructed numerous projects with it since.  I also worked for the Drupal Association for a while -- I was the Director of Sponsorship Sales for DrupalCons San Francisco and Copenhagen in 2010.

Like many, I have a love-hate relationship with Drupal.  One of the things I've been particularly frustrated with is the difficulty I've always found in getting what seem like simple questions answered.  For whatever reason, Googling for the answer to a Drupal problem often ends in frustration -- many times I've searched for a long time for an answer, only to discover (once I've found it) that the solution is actually quite simple.  So I have a two-pronged vision for EBDUG as a way to alleviate this particular pain point for others (and perhaps even for myself now and again.)  For one, an additional meetup provides another place where people can ask questions and get personal answers. In addition, though, I want to look for (and perhaps try to develop) ways to document and answer some of these questions in a way that extend beyond the in-person meetup.   I have some ideas for this that I'll be presenting at this evening's Meeting #0.

About this meeting: There's a reason it's numbered #0.  Tonight's meeting, unlike all the meetings to follow, is not about Drupal.  Tonight's meeting is about EBDUG itself -- what it could, should, and will be.  Please come if you're interested in hearing my ideas for the group, sharing your own, and especially if you may be willing to offer some of your own time and energy to this project.  I'm quite excited about the prospects for EBDUG; I look forward to meeting everybody and seeing where we can take this thing.

Cheers,

Luke