Blindsight, an R&D/product firm in Berkeley, CA, is seeking a Lead Developer to build production versions of mobile device application(s) for the blind, low-vision, and elderly.
Users of the Blindsight system will get help with activities of daily living via their mobile phone (or similar device), linked to a distributed virtual service call center staffed by professional guides and/or trained volunteers. The system will integrate voice, web, indoor and outdoor navigation, pattern-recognition and call-center technologies.
After successful proof-of-concept field trials and follow-on funding through Federal seed grants, we're ramping up quickly. Since we're a small, distributed team at the moment, we prize energy, ingenuity, speed, accuracy, diligence and generally being rewarding to work with. Our expectation is that our team will continue to grow over the course of the year.
Lead Developer for Mobile Device Applications
This is a full-time, permanent position that will report to and work with the Principal Investigator (product manager).
Candidates need not be based in the San Francisco Bay Area, but must be available to work for long periods (weeks to months) with the Bay Area team in person, as needed.
Important: Candidates must have unrestricted authorization to work in the US.
The Lead Developer for Mobile Phone Applications will direct and implement the design and development of mobile device applications for the blind and elderly, and will help in recruiting an appropriate team as necessary. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Main oversight of mobile device applications design and development
- Creation and maintenance of project development plans
- Gathering technical requirements
- Participation in front-end focus groups and other market research
- Selecting final platform(s)
- Iteratively building and testing the app with other staff and contractors
- Working with end-users and handheld device companies to assure hardware suitability
- Recruiting additional technical staff to fulfill development needs
If working with a firm to build a handset to order:
- Oversight of creation of reference designs
- Oversight of porting to additional hardware platforms
- Designing and building high-traffic production software systems
- Designing and implementing an application for at least one major platform (Symbian, Windows, Android, iPhone)
- Resolving issues between software/hardware constraints
- Resolving issues of power management in mobile devices
- Agile development process
- Reference design creation
- Scala or Clojure
- EC2/cloud systems
Blindsight offers benefits including 3 weeks' paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, an allowance for corrective lenses and SEP-IRA. Compensation may include opportunities for equity participation. We are an equal opportunity (and generally standard-disclaimer-compliant) employer.
You'll work with many technologies, wear many hats, help set our direction, and build software intended to make life better for millions. You'll have a great deal of freedom in how and where the work is done, interact closely with first-rate colleagues who know how to make successful products, and work closely with a beta group of guides and end-users.
You don't to be an expert in issues faced by the blind, low-vision and elderly. But if you have attention to detail, a desire to learn, and a love of collaboration, we'd love to hear from you. Thanks for considering working with us!
Describe to us why you're right for this job (or why we should consider you even if you're not!). An accurate resume and pointers to relevant completed projects are welcome at jobs at blindsight.com
(you may also apply via http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/sof/1590984775.html
To learn more about Blindsight, please visit our web site at http://blindsight.com/
Product Development Manager
The Blindsight Corporation