The East Bay Ruby Meetup Group Message Board › Seeking Technical Project Manager
Beezwax Datatools, Inc. is a boutique development agency based in Oakland, CA, with developers working around the greater San Francisco Bay Area and beyond. For more than 15 years we have designed custom web, database and desktop applications for organizations of all sizes, working in dialog with our clients to create powerful, elegant solutions using various technologies.
Beezwax is an extremely pro-developer firm, contributing tools and education to the wider developer community, while supporting all members of our team in leading fulfilling, creative lives. We support an amazing customer base, continually bringing in new projects as well as new clients that challenge our developers to use their full technical abilities and expand their skill sets.
We are looking for an extremely competent project manager, communicator, and problem solver, who is familiar with the dynamics of a small software design firm.
While the primary focus of this position will be on a specific set of responsibilities, we are a small firm, and all of us wear many hats; candidates will need to be versatile, willing and able to help with many aspects of the company's operations.
The ideal applicant will be able to enthusiastically perform job functions with a minimum of structure and supervision, and be able to thrive in an informal, creative, entrepreneurial company.
- Serving as bridge between developer and client: facilitating communication, anticipating possible problems before they occur
- Maintaining overview of several simultaneous projects for different clients; being accountable to tracking budget and development progress
- Getting new projects rolling, including discussions with potential clients, collaborating with developers on proposal creation, etc.
- Participating with the management team in strategic planning of company-wide infrastructural improvements and long-term objectives
- Performing other duties as required, which may include promoting our products and soliciting new work
- Ability to anticipate the needs of all parties involved in a project
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to identify problems and propose solutions with consideration of all ramifications
- Willingness to commute regularly to clients around the Bay Area
- Experience with agile development methodology is a plus
- Familiarity helping run and grow a small business is valuable
- Familiarity with the needs of different types of organizations and businesses is valuable, as we have clients of all sizes in various industries
- Hands-on experience with FileMaker Pro or Web development is a plus
- Any SalesForce certification is a plus
Send your resume along with compensation expectations to jobs [at] beezwax [dot] net.
In your cover letter, please briefly answer the following questions:
- What interests you most about the prospect of working with Beezwax?
- Describe your experience working with virtual teams.
- How do you estimate the hours needed for a project?
- Please list your primary programming languages and technical skills, and rate your skill from 1 to 10.
- Describe your experience drafting up specifications and/or working from specifications.
- List the top 3 ways you've seen software projects go wrong, and briefly describe how you now avoid these pitfalls.
- Describe your experience handling challenging discussions with clients regarding a project's budget.
- Describe your organizational tools & methods. What systems do you use for project management, task management, calendaring, etc.? What do you like about them?
- What are some of the main technologies that have been used in projects you've managed in the past year, and what was the nature of your participation in the actual development process? (I.e. code review, testing, actual coding, etc.)
- What salary range are you seeking?
- How often can you commute to Oakland? the Peninsula? elsewhere in the Bay Area?
Edited by Beezwax on Apr 10, 2013 11:30 AM