addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The East Bay Ruby Meetup Group Message Board › Learn to Code

Learn to Code

A former member
Post #: 1
Join a tuition-free, full-time, self-directed, no-frills, non-commercial full-time learning community for serious novice programmers.

About Me
My main motivation for starting this project is to learn more enjoyably with other nice, smart and focused builders. I will be merely a coordinator and will mostly be a fellow student like everyone else in this learning community. Instead of paying $$$ for a "bootcamp" and following a program, I feel that I can learn more effectively this way.

About You
You want to become a better developer. You're a focused, self-motivated, self-directed, friendly and helpful individual. Although a novice developer, you've done homework - you've done online tutorials and have pushed simple code samples to a public repo. You get a plus if you prefer to solve problems with programming without overly relying on frameworks.

The Plan
We will work together every day with other learners who want to craft and work through their own learning maps. You can tailor your commitment to suit your own needs; most will probably work with us for a few months of full-time building and learning. By working together daily, we will provide the morale, support and accountability that we need. With a peer-directed group, we can serve as our own guide and assist each other as needed.

Please know that this is not a formal program; this isn't a "bootcamp"; there are no formal instructors. You direct you. The closest model would be the wonderful Hacker School in NYC.

Place & Time
The plan is to start as soon as possible. Meeting at coffee shops won't work for this type of intensive work so we have to go with the next best alternative and work from a co-working space that suits our needs. Although there's no tuition, there will be a monthly membership that each of us will pay the co-working space (roughly cost ~$350 monthly).

If you're interested in this adventure, please sign up at Code Jams

M. Chun Ming T.
user 34470832
Oakland, CA
Post #: 72
I like to join except why pay a fee at all when maybe we can find a space for free?
Depending on how many we find to join in, I have a conference room where we can do this
for free. The conference room is big enough for about 15 people. My name is Ming. I want to
learn how to use Mysql and PHP and Ruby.