Everything-But-The-Kitchen-Sink Book Club Message Board › NEW BOOK SUGGESTIONS

NEW BOOK SUGGESTIONS

Closed to new replies

Katrina
mrsteacher23
Sterling, VA
Post #: 10
I've never read a graphic novel, so I'd be up for Persepolis.
Victoria
user 87765932
Great Falls, VA
Post #: 1
I would like to suggest the following by book festival featured authors..

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver. This was her first work of fiction and it would be interesting to see how she started versus where she is today.
A Thousand Splendid Suns and/or And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. Especially as the former was also featured in this month's book selection.
The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. NPR called it heart warming, humorous and soul satisfying.

On my own list to read (which I'd love to share and discuss)...

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. What if you could live again and again until you got it right? Fascinating premise and an interesting book club discussion perhaps?
Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight. Crime story with a relationship story. Compared to Gone Girl and Sister.
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. Novel of hope and transformation. WaPo named it a notable book in 2012.
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. A meditation on fate. Richard Russo (one of my favorite authors) called it 'an absolute masterpiece.'

And for something of a classic nature...

The Great Gatsby. Never read this book (I admit with great shame) only saw the movie, but intrigued by the new version.