East Midlands Role Playing Game (RPG) Group Message Board › The Sun Never Rises - 12th May - Mondo Comico

The Sun Never Rises - 12th May - Mondo Comico

A former member
Post #: 485
Adam Page (BlindGeekUK) will be running this adventure created for PAX at Mondo Comico on Saturday 12th May. More details to follow when I get them (or if Adam posts them).
Mik
The_EvilDM
Leicester, GB
Post #: 346
PAX East: The Sun Never Rises
Convention Adventure
Shawn Merwin

Beneath the settlement of Dagger Falls, the deadly vanguard of an evil army crawls from the Underdark to threaten those who revere the light.

Her Radiance Dareen Travaskyr has led the Temple of Lathander’s Light for many years, making it a source of good and civilization in the otherwise wild Daggerdale. When the priestess received a vision urging her to create a powerful icon against an impending darkness, she employed a group of adventurers to complete her divinely inspired tasks. But evil has spies everywhere. Now, the party of heroes might be the only thing standing between forces bent on a grisly fate for the temple's inhabitants.

The Sun Never Rises is a Dungeons & Dragons adventure for four to six players. This adventure uses pregenerated 1st-level characters whose backgrounds link directly to its story. This short adventure is designed to introduce players to the threat presented in the Web of the Spider Queen D&D Encounters season, which is slated to begin on May 16, 2012. Successful completion of this adventure earns players benefits to assign to characters they play in the new D&D Encounters season.
Adam P.
user 42290122
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 2
As Paul and Mik have graciously done half my work for me, i'll fill in the extra details...

This event will follow the format of the UK D&D Tweetups that we've run at Mondo Comico over the past 3 years, which basically means it's a 4e D&D event, organised by some of the UK D&D scene who reside on Twitter. As always it'll be free to attend, and we'll try and get some freebies sorted, though given the time frame, that'll be harder... All we ask is that people come, have fun, chat with fellow D&D players, and spend some money with the shop.

The adventure brief is as Mik has just posted, and is the first part of WotC's big summer of drow related products and events. Its a precursor to the encounters season, and we're hosting it a few days before the Dungeon Survial Handbook comes out which as far as I know, adds new options for drow and other monsterous races such as goblins and kobolds. The adventure is written by Shawn Merwin, who did the absolutely excellent Kalarels Revenge adventure.

Having approached Chris Tulach, head of WotC's organised play, he has been kind and let us (and about 5 minutes after he replied saying we could have it, he announced any other big convention could get access to it) have access to the adventure, which is a welcome move from WotC.

Since this event is all about the drow, and kicks off the Rise of the Underdark season in the UK, it's been titled the "UK D&D Drowathon" rather than the 'UK D&D Tweetup 4", and on twitter, we'll be promoting it via the @ukdndtweetup account and the #drowathon hashtag.

My plans for the day are to have a laptop with printer available for people wanting to build first level characters on the day, and to have an hour or so before we start the adventure. We'll aim to run 3 tables of this advenutre on the morning, and then jump straight into the Encounters season starter to see the influence your success or failure has on the Web of the Spider Queen...
A former member
Post #: 463
Count me in. Any idea what the pregens might be?
Mik
The_EvilDM
Leicester, GB
Post #: 347
Will hopefully have more information at the weekend.

As Adam noted above it has been made available for other conventions in the UK and I have been lucky enough to be given the opportunity to run it this weekend at Con-Quest in Derby smile

Due to time constraints and with it being short notice, I'm hoping to run it between 12-2 on Saturday using the provided pre-gens - 1 seat out of the 6 has already been claimed by Tilly (nepetism has its uses) but the remaining 5 will go to whoever shows up (if anyone lol)

I will of course pass on any other relevent information as I can.
Adam P.
user 42290122
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 3
The promotional blog for the event is now live, and will be updated over the next month as we learn more about the Rise of the Underdark storyline and more about the adventures we'll be running.

http://ukdnddrowathon.wordpress.com/­
Adam P.
user 42290122
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 4
To clarify, since i've just had an email from WotC that made my heart race...

The Drowathon is a D&D 4e tweetup event, running WotC adventures to support the launch of the Rise of the Underdark storyline and product range.

There will not be any other edition of D&D on show at the event (unless I hear otherwise from the powers that be). Situations where other editions of D&D were demoed at a tweetup event were a one-off occurrence and will not be repeated.
A former member
Post #: 487
To clarify, since i've just had an email from WotC that made my heart race....

Oh? What did they say? Are they sending a team of drow after you?
Mik
The_EvilDM
Leicester, GB
Post #: 349
Count me in. Any idea what the pregens might be?

The pregen characters are the usual Encounters set of six, though within the scenario pack there is an additional sheet for each pc giving background info and details on their thoughts of the other pc's too.

So how many tables are we having running? and who are the other DM's? I'm sure I read it somewhere but for the life of me I cant recall where (Doh - what comes of staying up till gone 1am to make sure I received the materials on time)

Edit:- Just realised its on the UKdrowathon blog, so it looks like its myself, Pedr and Shane DMing so far, cool.
Adam P.
user 42290122
Nottingham, GB
Post #: 5
Yeah, Shawns done his usual job of adding detailed pc backgrounds/motivations/thoughts on the others as he did with Kalarels Revenge. if they play anything like the ones from KR, they'll create some 'fun'

At the moment, your the only confirmed DM, but Shane and Pedr have offered subject to confirming their availability.