East Bay Film/Art/Music/Culture Message Board › Whither East Bay Indie / Foreign / Docs?

Whither East Bay Indie / Foreign / Docs?

David S.
user 14605741
Oakland, CA
Folks,
I need to decide what to do going forward with this meetup group.  Turnout has been really low, and well less than half the people who RSVP show up.  Also Meetup wants their next payment by Nov. 11, which pushes the issue.  Organizers have to pay for a group to be active, so that "donation" we ask for isn't just for our precious time or beer fund!  And I've felt bad asking for $$ when 2 other people come, one of whom is a friend……...
I took over the group in May when the prior organizer stepped down.  I've been busy, like everyone, and would be happy to pass the baton to someone else.  Which means someone else would pay the fee, take over, and hopefully have better luck than I have.
I'm willing to try reviving the group, but not if there's insufficient interest.  Since talk is cheap, by "sufficient interest" I mean people chipping in money to cover the Meetup dues.  The other option is to let the group die, there are other film Meetups and there's no point having our small, uber-niche group that no one comes to anyway and just generates spam :)
If I weren't about to travel for a work conference I'd try to put together a "nice" event this weekend but alas I am so this discussion has to be digital.
So, thoughts?
Dave