addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

East County Aviation / Flying Meetup Group Message Board › Short flights/inexpensive trip ideas

Short flights/inexpensive trip ideas

Jodi
user 10194395
San Diego, CA
Post #: 399
Hi everyone,

I would like to get some flying meet-ups scheduled. It all depends on the willingness of the pilots in our group. We all love to fly which is why we are members of this group. I'm sure we all greatly appreciate our pilots and the opportunity to get in the air, I know i do!

Been discussing ideas with a pilot and group member about short, relatively inexpensive flights. Lots of factors to consider such as gas prices, availability of pilots to fly members of our group, if a plane or planes need to be rented.

Some areas of consideration for shorter flights, many about 1 hr. long are Oceanside, Temecula, Hemet, Palomar, Carlsbad, a long loop around the South Bay with touch down at Brown Field, Borrego, Big Bear and Santa Monica. Most will be lunch or dinner flights. Possibly a longer trips up to 3 hrs. Maybe even Catalina if we have experienced pilots who know that challenging landing strip.

From my understanding on average it's $35./hr for gas which would be divided by everyone in the plane, would cost more for 2 seater, versus 3-4 seater and so on. If a plane needs to be rented it costs on average $100/hr so that cost would be split too.

My suggestion on sign-ups and cost is once a route and the number of planes are known, the trip would be limited to the number who can sign up, first come first serve. Payment upfront, forfeited if replacement passenger can't be found. Refunded if someone takes your place.

If you're a pilot please let me know if you're interested, your availability, if you have a plane or need to rent one, your thoughts on this idea and costs, any other flight locations, etc.

If you're a group member, I'd like you're feedback and ideas too.

It would be nice to get some flights in before the winter season is upon us.

Thanks and hope to see you soon,

Jodi
Jodi
user 10194395
San Diego, CA
Post #: 400
Email response, shared by permission

Hi, Jodi

I'm a Cessna 172 pilot based at Brown Field (with my own plane). I'm interested in this meetup, both as pilot in my plane and passenger in others of the meetup group. I won't be available until September, though. Thanks. Marty Jansen.
Jodi
user 10194395
San Diego, CA
Post #: 401

Great idea Jodi!

I am game for that.

Any field that has some place to eat or something to see sounds fun.

As far as renting planes, most rentals are "wet" cost, so you get the fuel included in the
$130 or what ever per hour.
FYI, if any pilots are rated high performance, there is an outfit in Brown that has a Cherokee Six for rent (under $200 per hour).

Gabriel
Jodi
user 10194395
San Diego, CA
Post #: 402

Hi all - When I belonged to a pilot's association back East we had fly-outs every week for dinner or breakfast. The way it worked was that all pilots who flew were treated to their meal. The check was divided up equally amongst the passengers. Only occasionally did anyone need to rent a plane and he usually picked up that expense, but that was by his choice. I'm sure the group would have been glad to help out. This was the agreement worked out by the pilots - after all, without them......

So, I'm just passing that on - it may not work for this group. I'm always available to help out with any planning or seeking out places to visit or eat. This is as great group.

Thanks, Jodi, for being so pro-active.

Linda Burke
Jodi
user 10194395
San Diego, CA
Post #: 403

Hi Jodi,

I am REALLY interested in something like this. I am taking an aviation class through Miramar to eventually get my pilots license.

Let me know if anything starts.

Thanks!
Veronica
Jodi
user 10194395
San Diego, CA
Post #: 404
Email response, shared by permission:

Hi Jodi,

I know this is really late but I've been slammed and just getting back into my interest in flying again....

I think your ideas are really good on splitting cost and possible flight routes. The only thing I see where someone would be paying the same amount to act as PIC and logging the hours versus someone in the backseat who can't and is paying the split cost. However, I believe everyone has to pay their "pro rata" share so a split is what we'd have to do, but the incentive isn't there as much for someone tagging along, in my opinion, unless they are not a pilot and just want to sight see. That all said, I suppose it would work out depending on the % of pilots and non-pilots. The right seat person could log PIC if there were instrument training for the left seat person. Just some ideas...I'm a pilot with an instrument rating but I need to get back up again, it has been a few years. My medical is still valid, I need to do my 2 year flight review and then get current on instruments/night landings etc...

Let me know what you think,

Brian
Jodi
user 10194395
San Diego, CA
Post #: 411
It's been a while since I posted flying idea in our discussion section. I really want to get some flying events going, but I need the help from pilots to make it happen. Please contact me with your availability and ideas so we can get flying. Look forward to hearing from you! Thanks...