East Pasco/Hernando Ukulele Club Message Board › Any interest in playing at a senior center?

Any interest in playing at a senior center?

Chyrisse
chyrisse
Group Organizer
Dade City, FL
Post #: 25
I received this email today. I personally don't have an interest, especially since it is Labor Day Weekend. Performing involves rehearsing as well. I am posting this in case a few of you might be interested

Hello Chyrisse,
I saw an article about the East Pasco/Hernando Ukulele Club a few days ago in the Tampa Trib. I have something I would like to run by you or your group to see what you think.

I am a volunteer at The Villas at Hunters Ridge, a senior living facility in New Port Richey. A few of us (regular volunteers) were talking about doing a "Labor Day Luau" party for the residents. The pieces of the puzzle are not all in place yet, but we have a meeting next week to see if this thing will be a "go" or "not".

Right now we are looking at Saturday, August 31 (Labor Day Weekend). If this "Luau" is going to be like the Memorial Day events we had --- the residents arrive at 3:00, the "show" starts at 4:00 pm, their dinner starts at 5:00 pm, and they leave by 6:15.

We are always looking for anyone who is willing to volunteer to entertain the residents for a short period of time (30-45-60 minutes, tops). My regular "go-to" dancing school is just gearing up for the fall season, and will not have time to prepare. I contacted one of the other Ukulele groups in Tampa, and after waiting for the guy to get back from his holiday vacation, was told that they only do paid performances, no more volunteer shows.

Do you have any members ( say 3 to 6 people) who live closer to New Port Richey, who would be willing to put on a flowered/beach-y type of shirt, perhaps don a fake Hawaiian lei, and do a free performance in exchange for joining us for dinner afterward??? If you can do about 50% of your show with Hawaiian or WWII music (most residents are 70-90 years old) you can fill in the rest with any appropriate music of your choice.

Let me know if anyone would be interested. I need to know by Wed. night (7/17) for a Thursday morning meeting. Having "entertainment" MAY swing the vote in favor of going ahead with this event.

Thank you for your consideration,
Kathryn Kuta