East Pasco/Hernando Ukulele Club Message Board › Little Grass Shack and alternate chords

Little Grass Shack and alternate chords

Gail R.
user 40204432
Dade City, FL
Post #: 11
I was most inspired by Sarah Maisel's Moving Up the Fretboard workshop at November's Getaway. I will post her arrangement of "Little Grass Shack" using jazzier alternate chords. The beauty of this is if you choose not to play all or some of her suggested configurations, you can use the common F, G7, etc.

I play the common F so that I can slide right up to the fancy-schmancy G7 she plays on the 3rd - 5th frets.

Check out the YouTube of Leon Redbone and Ringo Starr singing "Little Grass Shack." The syllables fall into a nice cadence complemented by the chords. No feeling of scrunching the words into the melody.

YOU MIGHT ALREADY KNOW / MORE THAN YOU MIGHT CARE TO KNOW:
"Komo mai no ka ua ika hale wela ka hao" (Komo my-a no ka-oo ee-ka hah-la well-a ka - ho) doesn't translate literally. Komo mai means welcome, my home is your home. The rest suggests let's go to the place of fun, the bar, the watering hole.

Kanes are men. Wahines are women, also referred to in John Prine's Hawaiian song I'll also post.