Managed WP hosting:
- I have had good experiences with zippykid.com
- Have heard good reports from others using wpengine and page.ly
Regular shared hosting:
- Have had good experiences with arvixe and rochen
- I steer people away from DreamHost (as you have discovered)
Either way, backups are essential
- VaultPress is the best if you can afford it
- BackupBuddy is a great option, as well
- BackWPup is a good free plugin, but requires more configuration and restores aren't as automatic as the previous 2
- Backups provided by your host may or may not be adequate--test them before you decide to forgo your own backup solution
I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you.
On Jan 30, 2013, at 1:07 PM, rose <[address removed]> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded about Dreamhost losing my website.
> They have restored my text but cannot find the directory w/ my images and graphics. This is
> still a tremendous loss. I have published 1291 posts, each with approximately 5 images.
> That is a total of 6455 (lost) images. An Art/Design website w/ no images is useless.
> I was getting 500 unique hits per day, now it is less than 10.
> I must move on. From now on, regardless of the web hosting
> company, I will do my own backups religiously.
> I cannot stay w/ DH. Can someone suggest a better web hosting
> company? Any suggestions for an efficient way to backup a wordpress
> sites w/ a lot of images (jpeg files)?
> thanks again,