addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The East Bay WordPress Meetup Group Message Board › Call for Topics/Agenda

Call for Topics/Agenda

noelsaw
noelsaw
Rosemead, CA
Post #: 8
Please post any ideas you'd like to cover during the next meeting here!

Almost everything is fair game!
Sallie G.
SallieGoetsch
Oakley, CA
Post #: 5
I have a series of suggestions, not all meant for one meeting, but rather as ideas we might discuss for a series of meetings. I'm not claiming to be able to address all these questions as an expert--rather, these are things I'd like to know more about.

• Widgets: what they are, how they work, which ones are your favorites, and where that nice sidebar I designed went when I installed my first widget
  • SEO plugins: which ones play well together, and how do you configure them? (Since just installing them isn't really enough)
  • Anatomy of a WordPress theme: if you're going to design your own, what do you absolutely have to know?
  • How to keep up with WordPress--which blogs to read, podcasts to listen to, forums to participate in, etc.
  • Using offline blog editors
  • Getting the best use out of the WP admin, e.g. bulk editing old posts (I just spent way too much time adding tags to old posts imported from my formerly-on-Blogger blog).
  • Using WordPress as a Content Management System to run your whole website (I actually do this quite a bit)
  • WordPress with extras like shopping carts, membership systems, forums, wikis.
  • Image gallery/slideshow side-by-side test series
  • How to use XAMPP and otherwise set up test installs of WP

What else? What do people want to know about? I think every session should give people an opportunity to show off their own URLs.
Lori B.
lori.b
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 3
great topics! can't think of too many too add.

I would be curious to know about people's backup strategies for files and databases and also while developing. I always have good backups, but somehow manage to use a different combination of backup systems for each site.
Stefan D.
user 9263646
Oakley, CA
Post #: 2

• How to use XAMPP and otherwise set up test installs of WP

Might as well include WAMP and MAMP (for Mac users) in that list.