The East Bay WordPress Meetup Group Message Board › New alternative to WordPress MU

New alternative to WordPress MU

noelsaw
noelsaw
Rosemead, CA
This is aimed at the more intermediate to expert WordPress users and administrators...so I apologize if you're just starting out with WordPress. So if you are a beginner, please excuse this email.

If you're a WordPress junkie you probably have more than one site running it. And you know its a pain to have to upgrade each site everytime there's an update. There was a solution called WordPress MU (Multi User) but as far as I know they're branching it back to the parent WordPress project.

One of the members of my San Gabriel Valley WordPress Meetup (in L.A. county) has come out with a custom installer that will let you host multiple domains/URLs from one WP install. It will support a common base of themes and plugins for all your sites. It will also let you specify custom themes and plugins for certain sites.

Check it out here:
http://wpmultisite.co...­

If you're interested in installing it, fill out the form on the site with the priority code: EBWP
http://wpmultisite.co...­

The developer will contact you and walk you through the installation process.

Let me know if you test drive this and your experience.

Cheers,
Noel
Daniel M.
danapalooza
Oakland, CA
Post #: 1
This sounds like a good idea. I think I will wait for the product to get out of beta , though, before I dive into it.

I have always heard that WPMU was a difficult beast to manage but trying to diddle with it has crossed my mind once or twice. I have three blogs, currently, and the idea of putting them all under a single install is very attractive. The reiteration that WPMU is designed more specificly for multiple *users* as opposed to multiple *blogs* makes this setup sound very attractive.

There isn't much on the site describing the nature of the software, though i.e., is it like BuddyPress; a collection of plug-ins built on top of a standard install of, in this case, WP or is it something else entirely?
Sallie G.
SallieGoetsch
Group Organizer
Oakley, CA
Post #: 16
Actually, WPMU is designed for multiple blogs rather than multiple users; the name has always been confusing. A regular WP install can have many users and blog authors, but all of them contribute to the same blog.

This product sounds interesting. I might even want to use it to convert the Asylum site entirely over to WP; right now there are two separate WP installs involved (three if you count test.podcastasylum.com, which is just a playground for themes and plugins). The only thing is, I haven't finished my other website overhaul yet!