Eastside Games with Friends Message Board › Playing Monopoly the wrong way

Playing Monopoly the wrong way

A former member
Post #: 556
Apparently the "rules" are passed on by word of mouth, while the real rules in the box are often ignored. I did not realize Monopoly is supposed to have lots of auctions:

http://www.criticalmi...­

The theory is that people started skipping the auctions years ago to make the game more child-friendly.
Jennifer H.
JennHoward
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 28
Veeeeery _I_in-teresting! But I'm still not _absolutely certain_ I want to play it... but I _could_ be convinced to "give it a go" at least once. ;)
Matthew 'Kyzoku' W...
Kyzoku
Painesville, OH
Post #: 1
I know this is an old topic, but I have known about this rule myself. Playing without the auction does make the game feel really drawn out. Also a lot of people play with money being placed into free parking. This is another rule that can make the game seem even slower. Many times have I played in a game with money in free parking to have someone who would have lost the game, instead land on that space and get lucky. Playing by the real rules does make for a much better game.

By the way has anyone seen that new monopoly with the computer tower thingy? Should just add some computerized players to go with it, because I think that idea just ruins the game.
sharon h.
sharwell70
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 3

I have always played Monopoly with the auction feature. It makes
the game more fun and you have more control over the game as to which
properties you can acquire as opposed to getting lucky and landing on
the property you may want.
wink
Jennifer H.
JennHoward
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 57
Perrhaps we should give this a go ot one of our weekend event when we have more time... And so that others who do not wish to play Monopoly at all can group together and play something else.

Matthew (I hope that's the right name, I cannot see two messages ago.) said "thingy" so he rocks! now. ;P