Eastside Games with Friends Message Board › Game Play Grand Summary for 2012

Game Play Grand Summary for 2012

Rob
king_aevil
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 41
Here’s the year-end game play summary for 2012, the first year in which I logged our plays on BoardGameGeek. You can see the details (and, perhaps, generate your own statistics!) at the EGwF page.

During the past year we racked up an amazing 703 plays of 205 unique games (including expansions), for an average of nearly 14 per week. And that covers only our official meeting times—anything we played at Qdoba, Burgers 2 Beer, or at Denny’s after 9 PM wasn’t counted.

As in the first half of the year, fast, lightweight games dominated the list of favorites. TransAmerica held its place—barely—as our most popular individual game with 30 plays in 2012. Close on its heels were Can’t Stop (29) and Takenoko (28), with Blokus (20) and Sequence (19) trailing well behind to round out the top five. (Note that our first game of Takenoko didn’t take place until April 10!) The most often played “heavier” game was Stone Age, whose paleomeeples struggled for survival 14 times over the year.

If we look at game families, with all variants and expansions, Ticket to Ride tops the list with a total of 41 sessions (Nordic Countries the most played at 11). The second prize goes to TransAmerica/Europa (34), though that’s hardly fair since one variation, TransAmerica, accounts for nearly all the activity. Dominion, despite its strong run earlier in the year, seemingly lost its appeal after summer’s end and ended up with a mere 21 plays (and only one in the last quarter). St. Petersburg (15 sessions over all variations) would have had a much stronger showing, except that we played it mainly after hours at Qdoba (also true for Settlers of Catac).

I expect the top games will change somewhat in 2013. Takenoko has lost steam since our initial obsession with the sacred bamboo grove, and Can’t Stop has seen a gradual decline in popularity, in parallel with a slight drop in our caffeine consumption. On the other hand, cribbage (no. 6 last year with 18 games played) will likely climb the ranks, now that we’ve identified (and/or created) a fair number of cribbage players among the Eastside Gamers.
Jennifer H.
JennHoward
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 160
YAYAYAYAY Rob! Thank you soh much for that most fabuloustest summary of 2012. I, too, see changes in our gaming choices for 2013. But there really is only one way to find out "fer shur!" ;) Jenn
Amelia
user 68086792
Canton, MI
Post #: 1
As a numbers person, I'm so thrilled you added statistical analysis, both anecdotal and numberical. However, why don't we keep track of games after Panera's? I'm pretty sure Takenoko would have made it farther if we had counted those games.
Rob
king_aevil
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 44
Cool--didn't realize you were also a math person. I've been keeping track of everything we do on Tuesday, plus Sunday in Solon and Friday evenings. That was sort of an arbitrary decision, but was intended to include our regularly occurring events. (Sadly, Sunday in Solon no longer occurs regularly, or any other way, for that matter.)
Jennifer H.
JennHoward
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 199
Sorry about Sundays in Solon being forsaken for so long. Don't know if I'll be able to bring them back.. with my crazy schedule.. I haven't _totally_ forgotten about them/it ;)
Patrick
user 35774302
Broadview Heights, OH
Post #: 57
Amelia,
We actually keep track of the "bonus round" games, i.e. games that are played after the main meetup at a different location, such as B2B after we bowled, and all Denny's gatherings, in a separate list. The fact we keep track of that separately is not my call. Please see https://docs.google.c...­ for the full game list.
Jennifer H.
JennHoward
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 201
Wow Pete, That's impressive! I can't believe you went back to early 2011 with that. ;) Methinks you "got curious" :P I kinda like it wgen tgat happens...