Point Reyes National Seashore is one of my favorite places in the Bay Area. I love the landscape and the views and the hiking is spectacular too.
Most hikes here are easy to moderate. I would call this hike moderate only because of the distance covered, about 9.5 miles. Total elevation change is under 600 ft.
We'll meet at the Estero Trailhead from where we'll take the Estero Trail for about 2.5 miles until we join the Sunset Beach Trail. The Estero Trail veers left (east) at the junction and we'll pick up the Sunset Beach Trail and go straight (south). Another 2 miles or so along the Sunset Beach Trail will get us to Sunset Beach. We'll take a break for lunch at the beach before turning back.
- Dress is layers as it can get windy and cold at Point Reyes
- Bring plenty of water with you as no water is available at the trailhead or anywhere along the trail
- Bring a snack or lunch for a picnic at the beach
- Restrooms are available at the trailhead only
- Dogs are not allowed on this trail
- Parking is free
Please click this link (http://bit.ly/100gI0x) for a location of the trailhead and to get directions as well. The address 17171 Sir Frances Drake Blvd. is incorrect.
Here's the link to the approximate route and elevation profile of the hike - http://bit.ly/X6kcSy.
Hope to see you there.