There are so many awesome updates to the NYC Barefoot Run on October 10th, I hardly know where to start.
- Barefoot Ted is in, saying: "I want to be a part of this. The more I hear about it, the better". ?Ted is the larger-than-life barefoot runner in the best-seller?Born to Run.?
- Dan Lieberman has contributed an awesome top prize to the Runner's Raffle:?a full gait and stride analysis at Lieberman's lab?up in Cambridge!
Christopher McDougall, author of?Born to Run, is jealous that he can't come, but?referred to the event as?"The Woodstock of Wild Human Animal Mayhem"
- Dr. Daniel Howell is in. ?Howell is an anatomy professor, barefoot runner, and the author of?The Barefoot Book: 50 Great Reasons to Kick Off Your Shoes. ?(Howell is a nice compliment to the run in that his book only devotes one chapter to running -- he mostly discusses the benefits of barefoot walking, standing, and playing too.)
- Jason Robillard has announced he?will run a barefoot marathon?at the run. ?So awesome.
- Terra Plana's?Vivobarefoot is sponsoring the event. ?The people at Terra Plana really get it.
- Terra Plana is hosting a talk by an awesome?talk by Dan Lieberman?at the Terra Plana store in Nolita the night before the run. ?Plus?a panel consisting of Barefoot Ted, Erwan Le Corre, Jason Robillard, and Daniel Howell. ?(That's worth more than the $35 registration fee right there.)
- Tip Top Shoes is sponsoring the event. ?Tip Top Shoes was the first shoe store in New York to carry VFFs. ?They're located on W. 72nd between Columbus and Amsterdam. ?They also will be?hosting some of Barefoot NYC's runs this winter?and spring from their store.
- We've got?participants coming in from 15 states, Washington DC, and even Sweden. ?The states so far are Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Washington state.
- Don't expect the same old boring 5k/10k. ?This run is really shaping up to be?a giant persistence hunt. ?Details to come.
IT'S GONNA BE WILD.
If you've already registered,?please bring a friend?and?spread?the word. ?I've attached run details below plus the flyer for the event.
If you haven't registered, well, it's your loss! ?(But you can still register?here
1st Annual New York City Barefoot Run
Sunday, October 10th
It's about time that minimalist and barefoot runners had our own run. ?Well, now we do. ?We invite all barefoot, minimalist, or curious runners to join us for the?1st Annual New York City Barefoot Run?on Sunday, October 10th at beautiful Governors Island in New York Harbor. ?More than just a run, this is a whole weekend of events to understand the benefits of barefoot -- walking, running, or standing. ?Saturday clinics, talks and presentations, a runners party, and oh yeah, there's a run too.
- Come meet other leading barefoot runners, including:
- Dan Lieberman, Harvard professor studying the science of running
Barefoot Ted, larger-than-life barefoot runner in the best-seller?Born to Run
- Jason Robillard, barefoot ultramarathoner, author of?The Barefoot Running Book
- Erwan Le Corre, founder of MovNat and 20-year barefoot running veteran
- Daniel Howell, author of?The Barefoot Book
John Durant, event host and founder of Barefoot Runners NYC
- Participate in a totally unique race format:?Run your distance
- Everyone starts together, then run as many loops around the island (2.1 miles) as is right for you
- Each runner will have to decide when to stop -- emphasizing the importance of listening to your feet and body
- Wear VFFs, other minimalist shoes, or go barefoot...or even just wear normal sneakers
- * Non-runners and beginners are encouraged to walk 1 loop of the island *
- Come cheer on Jason Robillard as he runs a barefoot marathon!
The events will last throughout the weekend
- Running clinics in Central Park (Saturday afternoon)
- Dan Lieberman talk and panel discussion with Barefoot Ted, Erwan Le Corre, Jason Robillard, and Daniel Howell (Saturday evening at the Terra Plana store)
- The run at Governors Island (Sunday morning)
- More clinics and product demonstrations (Sunday after the run)
- The location is beautiful?Governors Island?in New York Harbor, with stunning views of
- The Statue of Liberty
- Lower Manhattan
- Brooklyn and the Brooklyn Bridge
- Win prizes in the Runners Raffle:
A stride and gait analysis on "the most expensive treadmill in the world" at the lab of Harvard Professor Dan Lieberman
- Lots of minimalist footwear such as Vivobarefoot Evo ($180),?Luna Sandals,?Vibram FiveFingers, and more
- Signed copies of?The Barefoot Running Book?and?The Barefoot Book: 50 Reasons to Kick Off Your Shoes
- ...and more?
Race participants and volunteers receive t-shirts (the 1st Annual race only happens once...this is like a first edition book by a famous author)?
- Thank you to our sponsors,?Terra Plana's Vivobarefoot?and?Tip Top Shoes, for being so supportive of the run in its first year!
Registration for this event is limited to 500 runners. ?That sounds like a lot, but runs fill up quickly in NYC, so it's really not --?register soon. ?We have people coming in from North Carolina, Atlanta, Boston, New Mexico, Seattle, Michigan, and...Sweden. ?If you're coming into town on a budget, contact us and we will try to arrange for a member of Barefoot Runners NYC to host you.
All run details and registration at?