The Edmonton Libertarian Meetup Group Message Board › MLA Pay is a current issue! Please give us your ideas!

MLA Pay is a current issue! Please give us your ideas!

Wes
user 6218144
Calgary, AB
Post #: 174
Send an Email Post a Greeting
This is my idea:
MLA's pay should be structured to encourage them to downsize government. For example, if the Alberta government actually spends 40 billion in a specific year then they should receive say 20 million pay between them. If the amount spent is 36 million, then the MLA's could receive say 23 million between them. A scale could be made up with no allowance for inflation LOL. Something like the following:

44 billion spent = 18 million pay
40 billion spent = 20 million pay
36 billion spent = 22 million pay
32 billion spent = 24 million pay
28 billion spent = 26 million pay
24 billion spent = 28 million pay
20 billion spent = 30 million pay
18 billion spent = 32 million pay
16 billion spent = 34 million pay

Another adjustment might be related to the amount of legal expenses incurred by government in fighting its own citizens.

These are objective formulas.

There are other options just about as simple I am sure.

I went to my first Wildrose CA meeting the other day. They were looking for input about possible policy ideas. When I suggested the idea of structuring MLA pay to encourage them to downsize government they didnt like it. The members were concerned that MLA's would quickly downsize government such that we would lose some services! I pointed out to them that the MLA's would still need to satisfy the voters. At that point I asked them what our policy should be on size of government. I asked if our policy should be to downsize, upsize, or keep the same size of government. Noone knew which is better!!!

I told them that Ralph Klein was popular while downsizing government and unpopular while upsizing it. I suggested that Albertans want smaller government! There was no comment!

However, I did get a few interested in talking after the meeting. They have a long way to go and libertarians could carry these meetings with a bit better attendance by libertarians.
Lordxenu Xll
user 31064952
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 1
Send an Email Post a Greeting
"libertarians could carry these meetings with a bit better attendance" lol. Is it because there are too few of us? Or are we all just that apathetic?

How about we scale every politicians pay to the average wage of their constituency while also freezing their personal investments, and making it illegal to profit from finiancial services and lobbying for the duration of their term?