addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Leah B.
user 11531369
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 3
We are considering getting another dog in the spring and I want a house pet mixed breed that will be great for skijoring. Any thoughts on what to look for?
A former member
Post #: 1
i have husky border collie cross i got at the spca she is great - any husky cross or malamute bross should be great _- beware of energy levels huskys can be quiet hyper - any working type will be a high energy dog - they re are quite a few mixes that i have seen that are mellow.. i saw a st benard husky cross it was really calm and neat! best of luck for finding a dog! any dog over 35 pounds can pull!
have fun good hunting.
Kelly
user 6908281
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 35
We are considering getting another dog in the spring and I want a house pet mixed breed that will be great for skijoring. Any thoughts on what to look for?
Hi Leah,
This is going to sound biased, but I think labs or a lab mix might be a good option. My dog's a lab, and it's not so much because he's stellar at this - we're actually pretty novice - but he does have the energy when he's outdoors, but when he's in the house he's all laid back, and if we ever have to miss a walk he's disappointed, but he won't tear my house apart. The poster-dog for a great skijoring lab dog is Bjorn, who belongs to a couple from Edmonton that are super outdoorsy and athletic skiers. They were at Sue Gingerich's Mosey and Mingle races near Barrhead in the late winter, and given, they were each awesome skiers (doing skate style skiing) and super fast, but the dog was SO fast. And when they came back from the 5 mile, the dog still had energy to spare. A possible disadvantage of a non northern-breed dog is obviously there are some limitations to the type of cold weather they can handle. But the good side of this is that they don't suffer so much from the heat of summer to the extent the northern breeds do, because if it's a pet, then obviously you want it to be happy year round.

Carrie
mulhollandca
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 3
I think you need to find something High energy that likes to pull!! Which really doesn't help but I know you can take the dogs for walks when you rescue, you can see if they pull a lot while walking. If you don't care if you get a puppy there are older dogs up for adoption (of course), you may be able to gauge it better. My roomie has dobermans and Jade rocked when we took her to the first class. I have a big border collie who I think will be ok, but I run and she has learned to pace herself so I dunno how skijoring will go. I think she will try to keep up with jade. And I know people with Boxer's who pull like crazy so good luck!!!
Leah B.
user 11531369
Edmonton, AB
Post #: 4
Thank you all for your great comments, I will let you know what we decide in the end.
Leah