This event is in coordination with the Edmonton Shutterbugs meetup group, through Rick Watts, as well as the Canadian Rockies Photo-Hikers meetup group.
Let's drive out to Jasper and spend the weekend visiting some beautiful places and then let's go to a dark spot off of Highway 93 to do some dark sky observing (I will bring my telescope). I'm trying to come up with an exact itinerary but here's what I'm thinking so far:
FRIDAY 13th July
- Drive into the HI-JASPER hostel (full-service hostel with dorm-style beds). Arrive by 9pm'ish.
- Perhaps venture out to Jasper town for the evening or stick around there to check out one of Canada's darkest skies.
SATURDAY 14th July
- Wake up early (if you didn't stay up too late the night before) and do some road-side photography with the mountains in the background
- Drive up to Lake Cavell for the sunrise
- Drive up to Cavell Glacier for easy hike around there and hike up to the meadows
- Do some easy hiking around Jasper. Maybe check out some waterfalls. - Get to a lake (Pyramid Lake?) for sunset.
- Return to hostel for the evening to relax, or Jasper town for some dinner etc.
- Do some more sky-watching that night. Jasper is a dark-sky preserve so be prepared to see some fantastic dark skies! (Weather permitting, of course)
SUNDAY 15th July
- Wake up and catch sunrise at a Jasper lake (if you didn't stay too late the night before)
- Do some easy hiking around Jasper
- Drive back out towards Edmonton. Late lunch or early dinner en-route.
Since we will be in the National Park for this event, you will have to pay the Parks use fee of $9.80 per day (so, almost $20 for the weekend, I believe?) at the Park gate. I do have a Parks Pass for myself, but I will try and see if I can borrow someone's 'Group' Parks Pass which would allow us all entry into the park. (Or if you have one, do let me know!) :) But if I can't find one then it will indeed cost you approx. $20 worth of Parks fees for the weekend, payable at the Park gate.
I believe that the hostel cost will be approx. $25 per person per night, so approx. $50 per person for the weekend. I will make the reservation and then you can pay me (Imran). Details on the payment method to be announced.
As for transportation, I was hoping to drive there myself in my 4-door car, so I can take an additional three people comfortably. Fuel cost for my car plus wear-and-tear costs will mean a cost of $20 per person for transportation with me to there and back. This can be paid once back.
We can discuss any other specifics during the weeks before the weekend.