The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group Message Board › Any interest in a January hike?

Any interest in a January hike?

A former member
Post #: 5
Hello gang i would also be interested in taking part in this hike. i have to see if work is conflicting but if not i am there. sounds like fun
A former member
Post #: 6
I forgot to say i would also be interested in doing the jasper ice hike i really want to see maligne canyon in the snow and ice.
A former member
Post #: 33
ok, so then i am thinking a trip to elk island on the 7th. any suggestions as to where to meet at? I live in South Edmonton but am willing to drive almost anywhere.
A former member
Post #: 7
a good place to meet might be at kingsway garden mall near nait. the curling rink parking lot is usually pretty empty and it is a central location close to the yellowhead. just a suggestion. What time was everyone thinking for the hike? morning or afternoon, and has anyone checked the long term forecast?thats it for me i am also willing to drive.
A former member
Post #: 12
Sounds like it's going to be good weather as well - Do we have a Time Selected to Meet? I'm thinking not too early - like about 10:00? Thoughts? Also - here is a link to what a Hike of the Maligne Canyon would cost once we get there - http://www.overlander...­

And if we are going to spend the night - I would recommend the Hostel International facilitites to save money. http://www.hihostels....­
A former member
Post #: 2
If the plan is for Elk Island, does anyone know the snow conditions? Will one need skies or snowshoes?
A former member
Post #: 14
Yeah, is the plan for Elk Island still? I am assuming that it is since Jasper is quite a drive but just want to make sure. I am assuming too this is still a hike rather than a ski/snowshoe outing? I don't have snowshoes and can't get to a rental place easily. As for meeting to carpool, are you still driving Erin? I agree that 10 is a good time... nothing too early!
A former member
Post #: 3
As it is usually easier to work from an existing plan, here is what I intended to do on Sunday. Feel free to join me/us.

Myself and my son (and possibly his girlfriend) will be at Kingsway Garden Mall near NAIT from 1000h to 1015h on Sunday 07-JANUARY. I will be driving either a grey Ford Ranger or a grey Hyundai Sante Fe.

We'll depart the mall at 1015h and travel to Elk Island where we will do hike 1, 4 or 11
Elk Island Map

Unfortunately I can't determine from the website which is which so hopefully there will be a better map in the park. As an aside, hikes 2, 3 and 9 are tracked set for X-country.

By way of equipment, we will carry a set of boots (still need to buy a pair), gaiters, lunch/fluids and possibly a pair of snowshoes. According to the Elk Island admin fellow, must of the snow is packed but there are soft-packed drifts.

Assuming a 12KM hike is about 3 hours (50% longer in time than summer hiking conditions), the time estimates are as follows:
1015h - depart Mall
1130h - trail put-in
1500h - trail pull out (1500h is good with a 1630h sunset)

Long term forecase predicts cold (-7 to -15C) but very sunny.

So, that's my plan. See Sunday otherwise see you on the next hike!
A former member
Post #: 34
sounds like a plan. Someone should make a sign or wear something obvious so we can find eachother.
A former member
Post #: 4
Google Map - Kingsway Mall

Hmmm, let's see if you can link to a google map...

Corner of Princess Elizabeth Avenue and 109 Street [north most corner of the mall parking lot]