The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group Message Board › Edmonton winters -- don't fight 'em, enjoy 'em -- and...

Edmonton winters -- don't fight 'em, enjoy 'em -- and...

A former member
Post #: 3
... and here's an offer you (can't) shouldn't refuse!
I've been working a few weeks now on a cross country ski trail on the east edge of the Cooking Lake moraine just outside Elk Island National Park.
It's wonderful, rolling terrain with patches of aspen bush and open meadows. The western portion is quite hilly, taking in a series of sheltered beaver dams and ponds with a snow depth of nearly two feet! There is abundant deer, moose and coyotes.
My trail starts from my brother's new farm and extends across other farms almost to the east boundary of Elk Island park. I am an expert trail finder/maker and in my humble opinion, it's the finest trail in the entire Edmonton area!
I took a group of nine moonlight skiing there on Jan. 5. And I'm proposing to lead a daylight trip this coming Sunday, afternoon, Jan. 21. Meet at the McDonalds restaurant at 3008 118th Ave (Abbotsfield Mall) at 1 p.m. The trail is about 45 minutes from there. Leave a message here for m ore info.
A former member
Post #: 17
Heya! I would be totally in for doing some skiing in the river valley, near the university as I don't have a vehicle to get out of the city! If you ever have plans on going around there let me know! I am not the best skiier (I even have the good old wooden skis) but I would like to get out this winter!
A former member
Post #: 4
If you don't have a car and are near the university, you're in luck because I also have a trail on Victoria golf course. In my opinion, it's vastly superior to the choo-choo track which the City parks and Rec crew maintain there with a snowmobile and track setter.

It starts about 100 metres north of the Cricket Club clubhouse, goes past where the golfers tee off on the first hole and heads toward a line of spruce trees near where some kids have built a snowboard jump. It goes east along the edge of the steep slope over to the open area below LeMarchand Mansion. From there it goes south towards the university (going diagonally across the ditch and NOT over the wooden bridge), passing near the Victoria skating oval. It loops south again and goes close to River Road before heading in the direction of the golf course access road. It then crosses the road, goes down a dip, up towards River Valley Road, loops north toward Victoria Park Road, goes near the wooden stairway that crosses Victoria Park Road, then south past the driving range and back east toward to where most people park their cars near the Cricket Club clubhouse.

If you find yourself joining the masses on a boring, straight track chopped up by X-C skate racers, you've taken the wrong track.
But if you're on a single, classic track that takes advantage of all the little hills and bumps and patches of trees and traces gentle curves so you always have a changing view, chances are you've found my track. Enjoy!
A former member
Post #: 18
Thanks for the info! That is on the north side of the river no? I have heard that that area has great ski trails but I am not sure how to get over to that side of the river - well to that specific area? would the bridge going between Hawrelak and the dog park work or the 109 bridge be best?