The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group Message Board › New Event: Simmons trail: elk island park

New Event: Simmons trail: elk island park

A former member
Announcing a new event for The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group!

What: Simmons trail: elk island park

When: Sunday, February 4, 10:00 AM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Event Description: This Sunday we will be heading to elk island park to do a 2.5 to 3 hour hike on the shore line of Shirley lake. the trail is rated at a beginner/ moderate level. we will meet up in the city at kingsway mall parking lot to try to car pool. We will meet at 10:o am sharp and leave the parking lot at 10:20, this is to give lost people time and to get organized. Do not hesitate to join us for this hike because you have never done winter hiking, this hike is designed to be for all ability levels. everyone can feel free to go at their own pace. Also i recommend coming prepared. please make sure to wear good boots and appropriate winter clothing, hats, mitts and layers. Items I suggest to bring: extra articles of clothing(socks, mitts more layers) also bring water, snacks and possibly first aid items in a small backpack. Myself being the group organizer, I have a map, compass, basic survival and first aid gear.I also have the wardens numbers as well. For this hike there is no pets due to the amount of wildlife we have encountered on the trails of previous hikes to the park. Once again, please bring snacks, water and park gate admission.I hope to see many of you join us for this wonderful opportunity to get some much needed fresh air,exercise and beautiful natural surroundings. Happy Trails. for questions please use the Message board or e-mail me. thanks heather.

Learn more here:
http://hiking.meetup....­
A former member
Post #: 13
Hey Heather, hopefully I can take Sunday off. If so, likely Hans and I will be joining ya'll. Is this on foot or via snowshoes? If via foot, any idea what the ground conditions are like with the recent dusting?

Cottonwood, have you been out to Elk Island since Thursday?
A former member
Post #: 17
well that would be great if you could join us Phrank, this one because it is a beginner/moderate and some peoples first time out it will be on foot. also I am phoning the park on saturday to find out snow conditions.Also if you have any suggestions to find out the snow conditions, other than phoning that would be helpful info for me. thanks
A former member
Post #: 14
Hello Heather, a small problem with the plan. Unfortunately Shirley Lake is designated a ski trail (see map) which they ask hikers to stay off of.

There are a number of other trails outside of the red square. Fortunately, decision not necessary until 10.19h!
A former member
Post #: 18
thank you phrank for the map and all of you help and insight i really appreciate it. with your map suggestions i think we should do trail number 7 on the map. hope you and Hans can join us